Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question so please don't laugh.

How exactly does one go about clearing a room when armed with a hand gun and is it different with a shotgun? I hear the term "clearing a room" but really don't know the details or how I could do it solo. It would be great to just toss in a grenade and call it a day but....

Any information would be helpful and may save a life. You never know.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Clearing a room alone is a very risky process which is one reason one typically does it with at least one partner. I don't think I can explain it adequately in a post so will suggest perusing any number of books on police tactics or self defense that are available. There are also classes available for the civilian but they can be pricey and require some travel.
As a brief description, one will attempt to observe as much of a room from the other side of the doorway prior to entering. One typically uses the "slicing the pie" technique but eventually one will have to enter to check behind furniture, closets, and corners and therein lies the danger as one cannot cover both sides of the doorway and other blind spots all at the same time. There are means of reducing the risk but it is still there and can be great. Using a long gun is more difficult as it is not as maneuverable as a handgun and in some instances a hidden suspect can get inside of its barrel if given a chance. Due to the risk t is strongly recommended to hole up in a safe area and call the police if one strongly suspects an intruder. If the family is spread around the house, it becomes a very difficult tactical situation as any attempt to "rescue" a family member leaves you open to an attack. Nighttime is even worse as darkness is also a factor.
Best suggestion is to pick up a couple of books as mentioned and read them. Even better would be to follow up with a class on the subject but how involved you wish to get is a factor for you to decide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Uglydog. Any particular books you would recomend for home defence and room clearing and such?

·
Registered
640 Posts
the first book I can recommend is Mossad Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme". It is a bit dated in its equipment but the mental aspects I believe to be timeless. Other authors I like and can think of off hand are Gabriel Suarez, Clint Smith, and Jeff Cooper. Gabe's books may be the most "economical" and has some pretty good suggestions tempered by reality. There are a number of other books out there but those are the ones I think of first for which there must be a good reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts