Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would you rank as the better gun for protection against man and beast as well as for hunting and target practice-.454 alaskan or new .45 redhawk?

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is no doubt that the .454 is more powerful, but don't forget the benefit of a gun in 454 is that you can use 45 Colt as the sub-load and go as hot as you can handle.

I think the Redhawk is a better looking gun, but if I were forced to choose, I would have to go with the .454 Alaskan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
unless you live/visit areas frequently visited by griz/polar bears. there is really no reason to get the 454. in those situations i would rather have a very large cal rifle. ever been up close to a live polar bear? i have -- you will not feel over gunned with a 454.

the 45 colt in a red hawk can kill everything that walks in north america, with the obvious correct shot placement. the 454 is just a little extra insurance with the griz. but if you need a second shot the 454 recoil may present a disadvantage.

there are folks that hotrod the 45 colt in the rugers that surpass the 44 mag. no they are not the same as 454 but seem to work well in most applications.

so unless you are looking to stop a train. the old colt will work fine. factory ammo will be cheaper in the colt than the 454. you can get colt ammo from mild to wild. reloading is similar for both. the 454 requires harder bullets that will expand at higher speeds or you can reload softer loads using cheaper colt type components.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: re: ruger 454 alaskan vs new redhawk .45 colt

joedapro said:
unless you live/visit areas frequently visited by griz/polar bears. there is really no reason to get the 454. in those situations i would rather have a very large cal rifle. ever been up close to a live polar bear? i have -- you will not feel over gunned with a 454.

the 45 colt in a red hawk can kill everything that walks in north america, with the obvious correct shot placement. the 454 is just a little extra insurance with the griz. but if you need a second shot the 454 recoil may present a disadvantage.

there are folks that hotrod the 45 colt in the rugers that surpass the 44 mag. no they are not the same as 454 but seem to work well in most applications.

so unless you are looking to stop a train. the old colt will work fine. factory ammo will be cheaper in the colt than the 454. you can get colt ammo from mild to wild. reloading is similar for both. the 454 requires harder bullets that will expand at higher speeds or you can reload softer loads using cheaper colt type components.

+++1. . . . . :D
You couldn''t be more correct, if I had said it myself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used to always say .454 because of its power and the ability to use 45 Colt as a sub-load. However in the last few years, Garrett and others now load 45 Colt ammo that will "rock you", and anything it hits. The gap between the 454 and the 45 has been closed. Neither ammo is real plentiful in most gun shops, but generally 45 Colt is easier to find and the high power stuff can be ordered.

I guess that means I now recommend the 45 Colt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts