Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took a big step today. I purchased a blue .357 blackhawk with a 6 1/2 in barrel. today. I have been plinking around with a .22 for the last few years and am excited about trying a center fire. I am pretty new to the pistol thing so I have a few questions. I

Do you break a pistol barrel in and if so with what/how?

I do reload so I am planning on doing that. I have been reading some other topics and am getting some ideas on where to start. Thanks for your input, Outback

·
Registered
606 Posts
Outback said:
Do you break a pistol barrel in and if so with what/how?
Jacketed bullets are generally better for break-in than cast, although cast bullets with a gas check are okay. Modern barrels generally require very little breaking in, as the finish is pretty darn good right out of the box.

Shoot a couple rounds and clean it (Powder solvent, patch, copper solvent, brush, patch)

Repeat several times, making sure it's REALLY clean each time.

After a dozen times or so, you're good to go. From then on, clean it thoroughly after each outing, and always store it with a light film of oil in the bore.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unless you are an experienced shooter, I suggest you start with .38 specials and work up to the .357. The difference in recoil is significant. Starting with the .38's you won't develop bad habits from recoil before you get adjusted to the gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A gun just like yours was my own first centerfire handgun in 1973. Many have come and gone, but I still have that one. Only single action 357 I have left in fact. It is my wife's favorite. My best accuracy came with (I think Sierra) 170 gr semi jacketed HPs and 2400 powder. It is a fun gun to shoot with any 38 or 357 fodder to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was researching black powder loads one day and ran across this site captain baylors ranger camp. he shoots rugers in SASS competition. He suggests that one dry fire the Ruger about 100 times then run 100-200 rounds through em just to get em broken in. He says they (rugers) are built like tanks and he has never broken one even though he shoots literally 100s of rounds per month. I prefer to shoot a cylinder full and let the gun cool for a while when they are new. I don't think it's neccessary but it makes me feel better. I have owned many blackhawks over the years, surrently have a pair with 7.5 inch barrels that really shoot well. I also have a pair of the Ruger Old Army revolvers (cap n ball). The wife gave me a matched pair of Ruger Vaqueros with sequencial serial numbers for Christmas 2009. I really like my Rugers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.