Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for Opinons on the Taurus vs the Ruger for every day pack gun when riding or fishing. Quality/Accuracy,etc etc.Taurus comes ported which is a nice upgrade. Thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
Your money, your choice. Personally, I wouldn't own a Taurus again - I've owned two in the past, and they both had serious issues.

Porting.... on a .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, or something similar, yup. On a .357?? No need whatsoever.

If you want a whole lot of wheelgun for the money, see if you can score an old Ruger Security Six. The secret is getting out, though, and you can't find 'em as cheap as you could even a year ago. Another serious consideration is a Colt Trooper - a very nice .357.

·
Registered
149 Posts
chances are that gun will spend more time in a tackle box then being shot.

i personally havent had good luck with the 2 taurus i had. i know of others that have had better luck.

im not sure the taurus you are looking at is availalbe in SS, but the GP100 is and would be a better material/finish to have in the outdoors. It doesnt mean i wont rust, but will be less succeptable to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, Thanks I appreciate your help..I think I will go with the Ruger..and it probably won't shoot 2000 rounds..but 2 or 3 of them might be really important..thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
hoppy said:
Guys, Thanks I appreciate your help..I think I will go with the Ruger..and it probably won't shoot 2000 rounds..but 2 or 3 of them might be really important..thanks

You will never regret the Ruger, whether you shoot 2 or two thousand. They are built like a tank and can take any punishment you can think of.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i havent had good luck w/taurus. some people have.

if the porting is important to you, have it done to the Ruger. Imo, ive never had a need for it. i would just go to a bigger caliber gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 4 inch gp and it is fun to shoot but way to heavy and bulky to carry. My fishing gun is S&W 66 2 and a half inch barrel, it fits nicely under a fly vest. Truth to tell I am most likely to carry a pocket 22, so light and small you forget you are armed. Pass on the Taurus way to many problems with them. If I was to buy a new Ruger for a trail gun the SP 101 in a good holster is a great choice. Good luck--Zane

·
Registered
297 Posts
"Taurus" is Spanish for something that came out of the south end of a north bound bull.

You'll always be glad you bought the Ruger, for all the good reasons mentioned in the above posts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts