Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking for some time about getting a snub nose wheel gun for casual carry. I have shot many, have owned a few in the past. I thought I settled on the Ruger LCR but haven't made the jump, something keeps me from it. I'm fine with it being polly frame as my semi auto carry is also polly. Still as much as I like the pistol for the weight and the brand name, it hard not to get an older S&W snuby. It isn't about the cost as I expect to spend almost the same either way I go. If I go with a S&W it will be like new and stainless steel.

Looking for some advice/input. What do you gents think of the LCR? Help push ne off the fence one way or the other :wink:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Your call, but if I were to buy a Ruger CCW wheelgun, I'd go straight to the SP-101 and not give the LCR a second thought. However.... I'm definitely a traditionalist.

The SP can be had in .22 and .32 Mag (used - no longer made) or in 9x19, .38 Spl +P, or .357 Mag. 2" or 3" barrel, and built like a tank - the only drawback is weight... it's a pretty beefy snub.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Will;
Funny you should ask. My neighbor just got one after asking me about them and he is really having fun with it.
My take is that Ruger has hit another home run on a really, usable and functional "belly gun".
No one had any ideas of them or any gun of this size being anything but a belly gun or accurate beyond 6 feet, but for carry and possible emergency use.
I have sod a bunch of them since they became available and I can tell you that so far we have seen no difficulties with any of them beyond the new gun normal failures. Once they get a few rounds through them the bugs are gone and do not seem to come back. Actually no bad bugs have shown up "yet".

If I were in the market for a small hide out gun I would not hesitate to have one of these. BUt fortunately I have a couple of the old, Colt Govt. .380s, a govt and a plus two. These have been the best that I have ever owned or used and I will stay with them.

I have not visited with a single person who has one who does not like it or has anything bad to say about them. I am not trying to sell you something, LOL, I am just answering your question with what I see or hear.

BTW, I am not overly positive about future Ruger products based upon the problems we are experiencing with some of the current new models. So this may be one of the best of the last good guns to come out of that famous line of guns.

The Ruger family no longer has ownership and I believe the products are already beginning to show the result. I am afraid their QC is not taking things seriously if they even have a QC any more.

So I kept that in mind when recommending this gun.

Good luck.

UF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.