Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been planning to purchase a new (to me) semi-auto at the gun show at the end of this month.

I've read a lot and tried to narrow down my choices based on my wants and needs. I have pretty much decided on the Ruger P90. This is based on these wants:

- .40 or .45 caliber
- good balance and feel in my hand
- full-sized combat handgun
- medium cost and quality

The cost issue is important because I have limited funds, about $400. My first choice gun, if money was not an issue, would be the Sig P226 Equinox. But that is a $1000 gun...

As for quality, it seems like the Ruger is a "Chevy" between the Cadillacs (Sig) and Hyundais (Star?).

This is going to be a general purpose gun for me. No CCW or SD. I want it to increase my skills and proficiency with a handgun, and also for the collection.

What do you folks think? I am thick-skinned so if I'm making a mistake, please say so. Or maybe there are better options? Please let me know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I owned a Ruger P89, which is the same basic design as the P90. I owned and shot mine for several years and never had any problems with it. If I had not fallen in love with Kimber and Glock, Ruger would probably be my next choice, simply because of the reliability and quality I experienced with my P89. Bottom line, if you like the P90, then that's what matters. I wouldn't worry about quality issues being a problem with a Ruger. Good luck on your decision, and happy shooting. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I liked you automobile comparison.

The Ruger is a great blue collar handgun. It works well, it holds up great, and it gets the job done. It ain't fancy, it'd rather be rugged. You can always pay more (as with the Sig), but the expensive gun is not going to do anything the Ruger won't do.

I also like your choice of a .45 ACP. Big holes are always better than . . . not as big holes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

I didn't wait for the gun show but I did end up going with a the P90 .45. I got one on GunBroker.com for $295 with box, papers, and two magazines. After shipping and FFL fee, I saved about $70. Not bad.

I'm waiting for it now....it's been years since I shot a P90. I can't wait :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked my gun up today from my FFL.

I am very happy with this gun! It's so clean it looks like it's never been fired.

Anyway, tomorrow I spend some time at the range. Maybe put a box or two of ammo through it.

Thanks to Roadkill Bill and ArbrnInf for the advice. May the Lord bless you richly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congratulations and happy shooting theotherTexasRich!!! :D I just picked up a used Glock 23 this week and it too looks like its never been fired. I payed $480 for the pistol and 3 magazines. I've been pretty busy, so I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. I can't wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts