Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ruger p-90 45 acp that is 13 or 14 years old. This pistol shot great its whole life until very recently. Out of the blue this gun started shooting about 3 inches low @ aprox 7 to 10 yds. I have shot thopusands of rounds through this gun, and know it very well. It is maintained religiously. I have a 12 lb recoil spring from wolf that I decided to try in it, and it did not seem to affect the accuracy. I also have a hot load kit that has a guide rod and very stiff recoil spring. with this in it it seems to shoot very close to poa. But the sprng is so stiff that it is difficult to rack the slide. Is anyone familiar with this gun that may have some ideas as to what is going on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
NOW ARE YOU A RELOADER?

DID YOU SWITCH AMMO?

HAVE YOU EVER REPLACED THE FACTORY SPRING AFTER SHOOTING THOSE 1000`S OF ROUNDS?

LET US KNOW!

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.
MACOMB, MICH.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a reloader, I have been shooting the same load as well as factory win white box ammo.I have not replaced the factory spring, but have tried two wolff springs and the only one that seems to affect it is the really heavy hot load setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok jimmyjam,
since the heavier spring is is increasing the lock up tension, (pushing the barrel lugs tighter into the slide) this should cause your barrel to shot low but tighter groups.

check for excessive wear on your barrel shroud and locking lug area.
also please inspect chamber paying close attention to where the mouth case seats, you may be at a point of erosion.

please report your finding back.

Thanks

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is an update for any of those interested. After many many moments inspecting carefully, and not seeing any appreciable wear anywhere on the gun, and no sign of erosion at the mouth of the chamber, it dawned on us. For a number of years we reloaded with hard lead 230 gr bullets because everyone wanted to shoot, but no one wanted to buy ammo. We thought maybe we might have a severe case of lead fouling in our barrel. Well, long story shortened some. we bought some bore solvent for removing lead and copper fouling, followed the directions, and noticed that the rifling in the barrel seemed more defined. Upon going to the handgun range, we found that the bullets were again hitting point of aim. I believe we are on the right track, but think that there is still a bit of deposits still in the barrel. Does anyone recommend a specific brand of solvent or specific procedure for removing lead from the bore? The barrel is stainless steel. Thanx for any advise already, and to be given.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In extreme situation, i use BIRCHWOOD &CASEY "lead away cloth", take the cloth and cut to .45 patches and use like cleaning patchs, as with any other polishing product or chemical over doing it will effect sharpness of rifleing.

but this will solve your leading problem.

RON KONTOWSKY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts