Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Ruger site with no response so thought I'd post it here also.

I have decided to get a Ruger SP101 for Concealed Carry. It will be my first revolver. (I have 3 automatics - a Glock 21, a Kimber 1911 (.45), and a Ruger Mark III.)

My question is the best barrel length, I am leaning towards the 3" over the 2". However there seems to be more choices in holsters for the 2". Also, what SP101 holster would you recomend for for Concealed Carry? Any imput would be appreciated.

Norm

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I would personally choose the 2" for CC.
As far as holster, just look around and get the one that looks the best, fits right, and has the features you think will serve you the best.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Barrel length does not matter much if you are using an inside waistband carry and only slightly more if using an outside waistband carry. I have not carried a gun with shorter than 3.5" barrel in close to 20 years as I carry IWB and have found the barrel length to not be an issue. By far the hardest part of the gun to conceal is the grip followed by the cylinder if one is using a revolver. A holster that holds the gun close to the body and that one is able to adjust the angle is a great help regardless if IWB or OWB. I have not carried a revolver concealed in a good 5 years and that was a 4" barreled S&W 66 with square butt. It is a bit harder to conceal than my current choice, an XD-40 Service, but with the inexpensive Bianchi IWB I have it wasn't too difficult. Unfortuneately, a holster that works for one person is likely to not be liked by the next and only through trial and error can one get a good idea of what they like/dislike. I've been fortunate or maybe I'm not overly picky but I only went through a couple of holsters finding the features I liked and even then, the ones I didn't like I could live with. Best advice I can give is to find a police supply store and try a couple of holsters there. Hopefully you will find one that will work and not have to go through several to find the right one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with Uglydog about barrel length but one must consider what is "cmfortable" to you as he said. My personal 101 is 2" and I also have a 2" mod 19.
I like them both and use them for specific situations, but very rarely in the past 5 yrs.
Also his assessment of the IWB or OWB. See what you get and then decide what you normally wear (clothes) and what are your weather conditions. Then look for a holster maker.
BTW, you will wind up with more than one, ut make up your mind to practice a lot with gun and holster choice, A LOT.

I have been able to fit any gun I carry with either Galco or Don Hume and find both have lots of choices for various frames.

Also the Kydex holsters are very popular in Az due to the heat situation.

I abandon my leather in the early spring for my Kydex and carry the P7-M8 almost exclusively now in the IWB Kydex.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For concealed carry, I don't want a hammer on my revolver. They snag on the draw and chew holes in your clothes. The 2" SP-101 is the only version available with the bobbed hammer, so thats the one I would go with. It has been my experience that inside waistband holsters don't work well with revolvers. They actually were painful to carry for me. I carry my J frame Smith in a Safariland pocket holster or a Galco Speed Scabbard on a Galco gun belt. It holds tight to my body. I prefer pocket carry most of the time if my pants have roomy enough pockets.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For several years I carried a S&W 640 2" .38 in a horsehide IWB KRAMER. I frequently had to do a "touch test" to determine if I had remembered to carry... it was that comfortable!
I no longer have to travel where I feel IWB carry is necessary, but if I ever need an IWB holster again, it will probably be a Kramer.
my $0.02.
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also carry a 2" 640. When I tried it in IWB holsters, the bulge of the cylinder makes a high spot that creates a pressure point. At first I didn't notice it, but a couple hours in and it was excruciating. I like IWB for the thin, flat profile of an auto. But for my skinny build, they don't work with a revolver. I have been packing on some pounds lately, maybe I should give one a try again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.