Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've been told that Rugers aren't that great. Now, I won't form my opinion until I hear some good feedback. I signed on this forum yesterday and have noticed many people seem fond of them, at least in Ruger revolvers. So I would definitely like some input on Rugers. Please and Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm particularly fond of Ruger single action revolvers. There's been substantial online debate on QA/QC of Ruger's current offerings, but it seems to be hit-or-miss. I've never had a problem with a used one and, of the three NIBs I've purchased, only one developed a problem A trip back to Ruger and it was fixed and returned within two weeks.

The simplicity of the revolvers lends itself to tweaking, either by owners that, unlike yours truly, possess the requisite skills
or by truly talented gunsmiths like David Clements, Hamilton Bowen, or Alan Harton. I don't have an objective basis for it, but'd guess more Ruger single actions have been customized than any other handgun, with the possible exception of 1911s.

YMMV.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm a big fan of Ruger revolvers. They're reliable, overbuilt and accurate. Your grandchildren will still be shooting them (assuming they aren't banned). Every once and awhile a lemon will slip out the door. Contact Ruger and they will make it right.

As for semi-autos, the pinnacle of semi-auto handgun perfection was reached in the early 1900s. This is when the Prophet JMB presented to us the finest semi-auto handgun the world has, or ever will, known. All the rest are pretenders. :wink:

In reality, Ruger makes some fine semis. Built like their revolvers and priced within the means of most any shooter.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hey all, I've been told that Rugers aren't that great.
Were I you, I would be very suspicious of whoever told you that and I would certainly buy nothing they offered. I have owned a number and have never encountered a lemon and personally know of none.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have four Rugers including my last purchase, a Vaquero with simulated ivory grips, color cased blue, chambered for Colt 45. This is a beautiful gun and shoots great. I think Ruger is as good as the new S&W guns. I bought a uses Police Service-Six that I have shot a lot of rounds through and I am sure the previous owner did ten times as many and it shoots great and looks almost like new. If you can get a good deal on a wel kept or new Ruger go for it, you will not be disappointed with the gun

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Other than .22 im not a big fan of Ruger automatics. However the Ruger revolvers are as good as you can get. Go ahead and get one, you wont be sorry. JMO.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Even the Ruger centerfire automatics are decent handguns.... they have a whole different dfollowing, though. I've tried a bunch of them.. the P-85, the P89, the P-90, and others...

None of them appealed to me... I'll stick with my 1911s.

The rimfires, though... I have a very old Bull Barrel Mark I that is bone stock, and a Mark II with the tapered target barrel, Hogue target grips, and Volquartsen guts. Both are excellent paper-punchers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
While I don't much care for the "new" Vaqueros, I'm a fan of just about every other handgun made by Ruger. I've shot the autos and wheelguns with mixed results and feelings. Some didn't feel just right(the "New" Vaquero and most of the centerfire autos) to me , but you're gonna find this on any Handgun. All have gone off when the trigger was pulled.If I've done my job of aiming, the bullet hits somewhere on the target. These are production guns not custom jobs.

I like to have something proven to me before passing judgement on it. I'd suggest shooting some of Rugers products and seeing for yourself.

HWD

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of my favorites is my P89DC. I have at least 4000 rounds through it and have never had a problem. When you pull the trigger-it goes bang. Not pretty-not expensive-but built like a tank. Hate rugers grips-get some Hogue wrap-arounds. The only way to tell though is get one in your hands.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have no personal experience with Ruger automatics. However, when I sold guns I sure sold a ton of them, and never had one come back. I have 7 Ruger revolvers, SA and DA, and love them all. Built like tanks, accurate, and fun to shoot. I have traded two in the past, but both times, I traded for another Ruger.

Plus, everone I know that has ever had anything to do with Ruger's Customer Service has had a good experience.

One of our State Troopers dropped his Ruger auto out of the window of his car while firing at another vehicle while doing 90+mph. After bouncing and tumbling and finally slidding to a stop, the gun had part of the rear sight chipped off, a slight gash in the grip were it hit the corner of something hard and sharp, and a scratch on the muzzle end of the slide. The gun still functioned flawlessly. That's the only Ruger story I personally know, but it had a happy ending. So I would tend to wonder about who ever told you they were not any good. My experience has always been the opposite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.