Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old S&W 38 spl. with a1-7/8 in. barrel.It has the original grips but they don't have the diamond on them,the S&W brass logo is there. the serial # is 446j48. I was wondering if that meant anything to anyone?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm guessing it's also a 5-shot cylinder rather than 6.... if so, what you have is a J-frame S&W. Originally called the Chiefs Special, when S&W started assigning model numbers (in 1958) this one became the model 36.

There were also a couple of similar pistols with alloy frames rather than steel... the M 37 and M 38.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wwb said:
I'm guessing it's also a 5-shot cylinder rather than 6.... if so, what you have is a J-frame S&W. Originally called the Chiefs Special, when S&W started assigning model numbers (in 1958) this one became the model 36.

There were also a couple of similar pistols with alloy frames rather than steel... the M 37 and M 38.
Do you happen to know what it might be worth?

·
Registered
606 Posts
john in alaska said:
Do you happen to know what it might be worth?
Without looking at it, there's no way to tell. Could be anywhere from $200 to $550 depending on pinned or non-pinned barrel, round or square butt, sights, and the big one: condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.