Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I think is a 4" tapered barrel model 10 38spl. The ser # on the butt is C-419717. My questions....is it a model 10? what year was it manufactured? can I shoot +p ammo in it? It appears to be in very good condition with very little loss of bluing

·
Registered
175 Posts
RFULLR;

You did not clarify how much you thought you might use the +P ammo.

But for what its worth, the mod 10 is a very well made revolver and will most certainly stand up to the +P ammo.

HOWEVER; Do NOT use it on a regular basis. I don't think you or anyone else would do so anyway due to the increased price. But if you for example wanted to have your mod 10 loaded for self defense and did so with the 125 gr +P ammo it would handle it just fine and never give you a single problem.
I have the Mod 10 that was issued to my dad when he went on the Wy highway patrol in 1957 and is engraved with Wyo HP and his badge #. I have no idea how many rounds it has had through it in the years he carried it (1957 thru 1965) when he was issued the mod 66, 357 mag.
So, he used it for all those years and since that time, I have personally put several thousand rounds of my reloads through it.
In addition I have shot nearly a full box of 125 gr Cor-Bon over the past 5 or 6 years and not a sign of weakness or failure and it is still deadly accurate.

Just do NOT use it regularly with that kind of ammo. Even S&W has disclaimers pertaining to the use of +P in their guns.

Hope this helps or at least gives you some more info..
UF

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Victory model - model 10 - and I don't think I'd recommend +P ammo being run thru a model 10.

I think +P is stressing the model 10 too much / and you're pushing your luck if you do it. If you want to shoot +P ammo I would recommend picking up another weapon.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I keep +Ps loaded in mine for self/home defense, but I do not practice with them, nor is it my primary defense gun. Your K-frame is strong enough to handle them on a limited basis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.