Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Whether or not the .45 LC can be used for deer hunting is forst a legal matter.... check the regulations in your state.

If the .45 LC is legal, a good stout 200 grain or larger load with a hard cast or jacketed soft point bullet would be the preferred load - look at the offerings from Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore. I'd be uncomfortable shooting something like that in a Smith.... a Ruger would be a better bet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the reason for caution in the smith because of age or the ruger a newer or better design im just learning about the .45 LC
and like the smith,btw it's legal for deer in NYS

·
Registered
57 Posts
With the exception of the New Vaquero, Rugers in .45 Colt will handle greater pressures than S&W revolvers, which are generally limited to SAAMI specification loads. "Ruger only" loads meet or exceed .44 Magnum performance with 300 - 325 grain bullets.

I've not hunted deer with a handgun, but understand a standard .45 Colt load (not a "cowboy" load) that may be used in a S&W will kill deer just fine with appropriate placement.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Last time i check, S&W was still in business.

they have a customer service number, have you tried them?

fwiw, i have the 625 but i keep my loads to colt velocities or around 1k fps. i like my guns and dont care to beat them up unnecessarily.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your S&W will do fine. I have a 25-10 and with the right ammo, you're in deer hunting business.

Reed's Ammo
http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=160

He has hunting ammo that is safe in any .45 Colt.
.45 Colt with 185-gr Golden Sabers @ 1150FPS which are fine for deer.
He also has a 250-gr with a Hornady XTP, and for regular shooting a 255-gr. SWC that is the classic .45 Colt load, not the wimpy Cowboy stuff.

These are all regular loads, not the +P Ruger/Contender/Freedom Arms only loads that are not recommended for S&W.

Enjoy that 25-5!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Roadkill Bill said:
Your S&W will do fine. I have a 25-10 and with the right ammo, you're in deer hunting business.

Reed's Ammo
http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=160

He has hunting ammo that is safe in any .45 Colt.
.45 Colt with 185-gr Golden Sabers @ 1150FPS which are fine for deer.
He also has a 250-gr with a Hornady XTP, and for regular shooting a 255-gr. SWC that is the classic .45 Colt load, not the wimpy Cowboy stuff.

These are all regular loads, not the +P Ruger/Contender/Freedom Arms only loads that are not recommended for S&W.

Enjoy that 25-5!
Reeds ammo is the best, they were the ONLY place I could find TC 7mm, Since then I bought 300 WSM as well. They will work with you on price and reload your returned brass, quick to respond to questions and prices are more than fair. Heck I even bought some personal defense 9mm rounds from Reeds based on the HP bullet, the powder load and the price. A truly quality shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.