Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like opinions on this gun from anyone that now or has had. one.
Uncle Fudd. I noticed that you stated that some of your S&W Pistols were not holding up on the rental range. Is the M&P included in the group?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Claybird;

Sorry for the delay.
I have been out of town for a few days and just opened the forum.

I will say this about the S&W firearms.
I have used almost all of the top of the line handguns at one time or another. In fact I currently have most of them in the rental counter as we speak.
The ones I have get used a LOT as you might imagine. Mine is a very busy range and has been for long time.
I have tried the S&W rental program on two differnt occassions about 10 yrs apart.
Originally I had some of the 5906, 6906 4506 etc of the autos. So as you can see this was in the early nineties. I wound up sending them back so often that eventually S&W just refused to return the 5906 and the 4506 and I have never seen them since.
I was burned out and did not try to replace them until I had one of their reps at my XMAS special sale a few yrs ago. I think it was 2001 or 2002 and they talked me into the rental program again.
I took several of their new revolvers in different calibers and models and also their line of auto in the most popular models and cals.
I still have a couple of the revolvers but NONE of the autos remain and for the same problems as before. They do not stay together or whole.
I tried as before just sending them back but it becomes very expensive and very time consuming.
So my answer is frankly they may look cool but I would shoot a Lorcin before I would own and depend on a S&W auto.
I do not mean to be unkind, but people ask me and I have a duty to tell it like it is when someone may be putting their life on the line while depending on the gun they choose. Any gun that will stand up to my rental program for one year is IMHO pretty reliable. But when they will not last a week then you decide.

There are reasons my friend why the only law enforcement agencies who issue S&W autos are those who are mandated by law to do so under that abortion Clinton signed making them have to buy and issue the Smiths.
That should tell you something beyond what I have to say.
But I sincerely hope this will give you some insight and I do not mean personal.
This is from actual use.

UF

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unclefudd, Thank you for the very complete and honest post. I did have a model 59 about 25 years ago but was not a fan of 9mm at the time so it found a new home . I have had several S&W revolvers over the years with out any problems. But these guns didnt get fired much.
I will probably just get a Blackhawk convertable in 45 Colt . that will complete the Ruger convertable trio.
Have you had any CZ75's on your rental shelf?
I was just thinking the other day that I shot my first rabbit on Thanksgiving day in 1935. There was about 6 inches of snow on the ground. I got to carry granddads little 22 and dad put a shell in it for me and I shot the bunny in the head. One proud little guy carrying that bunny back to the house. Gosh I AM getting old

Claybird

·
Registered
175 Posts
Claybird;

You are welcome and we won't go into the aging thing.

I should have mentioned and will at this time.

For those who have one of the older Smiths they are priceless and I have one of the older model 19 2" nickel finish that has more rounds and years with me than I can care to think
I would not hesitate to recommend one of these in any of the calibers especially if one can find any of the models and years where they still had the pinned barrels.
Even the older model autos such as the 39, 59s 459s etc.

I hope this helps and as you said thank God for grandpas and the memories they brought.

I now am one and spend as much time with my grandkids as I possibly can and they all want to and love to spend time with me and I can't get enough.
I think I have provided some fond memories for them to take to the next genereation or I at least hope so and their dad and moms tell me they think so too.

Take care my friend.

UF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.