Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gunshop just got a S&W Mod 13 in and he's asking $295. I'm not an expert at judging guns, but I'd say condition is good. Bluing is slightly worn at the muzzle; the finish has a few very light scratches, the cylinder has the light score from rotating, and the rubber grips are scuffed. The gun is clean on the inside, so someone has been taking care of it and the cylinder is tight.

The trigger is excellent, In DA, it is as light as my SA Ruger Single Six. I've shot both the King Cobra and Colt Trooper and neither had a trigger as light as this Mod 13. (I wouldn't even consider shooting those in DA mode.)

Question is: even though this gun is a .357, I'm reading on the S&W forums that the K-frames aren't really good for .357 Magnums. Most of my shooting will be on the range with .38 spcl, but, you know: you gotta shoot the hot stuff once in a while for the fun of it as well as to be comfortable if I ever need it, However, this will be a range gun.

Any opinions or knowledge you experts can share?

Thanks

·
Registered
640 Posts
The price may be a little on the high side but much depends on where one is located. I have had a S&W 66 for 30 plus years that I bought used and it has had a fair number of 357 mag rounds through it. It still shoots fine and I have not had any significant repairs to make. The 357 is down loaded from its early days when it was first introduced in the large N-Frame so things are not as hard on the K-Frames as they once were. Still, a steady diet of magnum rounds will cause wear faster than 38s but the normal shooter probably has no worries if one stays with factory level loadings. I would say a good 98% of my current shooting is with 38 Spls, way back when the 357 mag loads made up closer to 50% I'm sure. Go shoot it and from your description, I would not worry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, uglydog. Did a little research and am satisfied with his price. Maybe I could get it on gunbroker for $25 less, but with FFL transfer & shipping there's no savings. Besides, I like having a local shop to visit where the owner knows me by name and can answer questions.

I'm going out to the range this afternoon to try it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can vouch for the Model 13. It's a fine revolver. I bought mine new when I was a teenager back in the 70's. I've shot mostly magnums through mine, and it's still nice and tight. I like the 4" heavy barrel. I would buy a blued one (mine's nickel) if I found a good one for the right price.

·
Registered
147 Posts
IMO, one of the alltime best .357 magnum revolvers ever made by anyone.
This was called the Military & Police Magnum, and is nothing more than a .357 version of the Model 10 revolver. They were the highpoint of police duty revolvers back when the revolver was the boss, they are rugged, reliable, accurate and can be carried concealed with a decent holster. They are a bargain at anything under $300 in very good or better condition, and there are not many come up for sale.

Buy it if you haven't already.

mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had a model 13 for at least 20 years. If memory serves I paid about $200+ for mine, so you price doesn't seem so bad considering the time line difference.

Unless you are planning on shooting 1000's of hot loads through you gun, don't worry about the K-frame thing. I have been shooting both 38's and 357's through mine since I bought it. Probably a few more 357's in that time than 38's and mine is as tight and true as the day I bought it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.