Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, just bought myself a S&W Model 649, .357 magnum revolver. Paid $500 for it used. Hope it was a good price haha. Looks to be in really good condition. My question is, should I leave a chamber empty? I hear about it but I don't know if I really need to. It's already just a 5-shot so I'd hate to lose the extra round.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't leave a chamber empty. That is for the old single action revolvers like the Colt Single Action Army. They are only safe to carry with the hammer down on an empty cylinder. A modern double action like yours is perfectly safe to carry fully loaded. Even modern single actions like the Ruger Blackhawks and Vaqueros with their transfer bar system can be safely carried fully stoked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice little carry gun you have there. The centennial models are nice because it makes them easy to carry in your pocket. When you pull it out, the hammer wont get caught :p

Hmmm..I dont know about the light, will. There might be some way but I'm really not sure. Laser however is a different story. Smith and wesson makes grips for that gun that has a small red laser on the right side, on the actual grip. Kinda neat.

Edit: Ah, found it. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... ctId=13073
Its a little pricey, and I don't know if you would have a use for it. Nevertheless, its cool :p. Still don't know about a light. Some of the more experienced revolver guys might know.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Crimson Trace LaserGrips are a fantastic add on to a J frame S&W revolver. They helped save my life once. My 640 has an older pair of hard checkered boot grip style LaserGrips and my new 340 will soon wear a pair of the new Defender series grips.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/SmithWesson/LG105/tabid/232/Default.aspx

I have found them around $165 with free shipping on the net. I believe they are well worth the price. Especially when you have to draw and get a shot off quickly without being able to acquire your front sight properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts