Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In normal self defense situations, any caliber will do the job. so why go for an expensive pistol when there are cheap and reliable guns like the “Makarov”,”PA63” etc... Knowing that the 9X18 is a good enough round for such encounters, in a more complex situation even the .45 will fail to protect you. One will need an assault rifle!!!
Conclusion smaller guns are more practical to carry.

·
Registered
297 Posts
According to this logic, you would equip your army with Ruger 10/22 rifles and Beretta Bobcats for handguns.

Sorry, but I'm gonna stick with my illogical .45 ACP, .44 Special, and .357 Magnums for carry guns. Big hole, more shock to the system, more bleeding, quicker death, fewer lawyers.

I have an East German Makarov, and I really like it as a fine shooting, accurate, handgun. I have carried it on occasion, however, mouse gun loads like the .380 and 9x18 will always be for emergencies only. (As is only guns left! or, what gun can I afford to lose . . .)

The old saying still fits: "When your life in on the line, no one ever wished he'd brought a smaller gun!"

·
Registered
606 Posts
Any gun is better than none at all, and whatever you carry should be dead reliable. Also, you should be able to shoot it well..... a hit with a .380 beats a miss with a .357 Mag every time.

That said, the biggest, baddest pistol you can pack and shoot well is the one to go with.

Why a .45??? 'Cause they don't make a .46, that's why!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
absolutelogic9 said:
In normal self defense situations, any caliber will do the job.
Maybe, maybe not.

so why go for an expensive pistol when there are cheap and reliable guns like the “Makarov”,”PA63” etc...
Why do some people drive $80,000 cars? Pride of ownership.

Knowing that the 9X18 is a good enough round for such encounters, in a more complex situation even the .45 will fail to protect you.
If you want to bet your life on "good enough" please do.

There are no absolutes or magic bullets. People have been killed by one .22 while others have soaked up multiple hits from .45acp and lived.

One will need an assault rifle!!!
If it wasn't for those pesky tax stamps.

Conclusion smaller guns are more practical to carry.
Smaller guns are easier to carry. A wise man once said that a concealed gun should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I could kind of agree with the reasoning of the original poster if this were a perfect world where everything went as it was supposed to as there then would be no need for a defensive weapon. As this is the real world, it has been proven time and again that with a handgun, bigger is better if the round and bullet is designed for defensive purposes. After all, a bigger bullet lets more air in and blood out, both of which contribute to stopping a violent attack. The larger and heavier bullet is also less affected by bones, muscle, clothing, and other common obstructions than the smaller/lighter one. Then, the larger bullet often penetrates deeper and the added damage when compared to a smaller/lighter bullet further contributes to ending the confrontation immediately. This penetration is especially beneficial to side shots and in order to reach the spine on frontal shots. The former is to add to the internal damage and a bullet traversing dep enough to damage both lungs will stop a fight quicker than if only one lung is damaged. In the latter instance, a shock to the spine will often end the fight right now.
Using a pistol is like throwing a rock, bigger has a much greater immediate and visible impact on the target, a smaller one can take more time or more hits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I read your logic correctly, you're saying that a cheap gun in the appropriate calibre is better than an expensive top notch gun in the same calibre 'cause you figure on losing the gun to the police if you do use it in a self-defense situation. Problem with that logic is that it isn't in proportion to the problem: If you get into (and survive) a self-defense situation, the cost of your gun will be the least of your financial concerns. Remember that the first rule of getting into any fight is that you will definitely take some damage (legal and/or physical) and the cost of a lawyer or an ER visit will exceed the value of your gun every time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I carry the most reliable gun I can find, regardless of price, BUT, price often dictates quality and reliability. I don't want to find out at the wrong time that my practical/comfortable/inexpensive gun doesn't work. You may only get one chance.
Carry a quality revolver (doesn't have to be large) or a reliable semi-auto from a major company.

Cheap and foreign are not something I look for to defend myself or my family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts