Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Roy.
I'm an old 'SA Colt 45 Quick-Draw' shooter who participated in many of the contests and exhibitions available in the late 50's & early 60's; - but I know next to 'Nothing' at all about the use of a 'Semi-Auto' weapon.
My wife and I are in the market for at least 'One' semi-auto handgun for home and travel (car) protection. From my recent research, I am favoring a '9mm Glock' (19 or 26), or possibly a Beretta Tomcat .32, (but I have reservations about the 'Stopping Power' of a .32).
We intend to shoot a bit at a 'Gun Rental Range' to solidify whatever selection(s) we make - but could use some expert guidence before hand.
Any guidence will be appreciated.
Roy

·
Registered
149 Posts
welcome.

and i hope you passed on/mentored some of those quick draw skills to someone.

imo, i belive youre on the right track to find a gun rental range to try the guns you are interested in. I think you cant go wrong with the Glock since they are considered really reliable. But as with any man made machine, anything can go wrong at any time.

If youre going to be using a semi auto for personal protection, you should seek out some profession help on how to clear malfunctions/jambs in semi autos and do some practice drills. The malfunction may not happen, but its something that can be transfered to other semi autos and i a firm beliver in murphys laws.

as far as the "stopping power" imo, its a bunch of BS. no one can agree on how to define it or how to calculate what it takes to have a "1 shot kill" or whatever is used now or in the future. As you may know from shooting/military service, it doesnt make alot of dif what caliber/weapon/bomb one uses, if you cant hit the target. with that said, i would concentrate on being able to hit the target no matter what caliber/weapon you use. that includes you AND your wife. alot of people belive the 45acp is the ultimate man stopper. I say BS. again, if you miss/nick what good is it?

Since you are buying for your wife too, you may end up buying 2 different guns. just something to keep in mind.

imo, revolvers are excellent defence choices since they are more or less fool/beginner proof. Just point/aim and pull the trigger. Get a dud, pull the trigger again. vary little to go wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Roy Glenn said:
Hello, my name is Roy.

My wife and I are in the market for at least 'One' semi-auto handgun for home and travel (car) protection. From my recent research, I am favoring a '9mm Glock' (19 or 26), or possibly a Beretta Tomcat .32
Roy

Roy,

Just my old fart opinion, but I don't see why you would buy a 32cal. pistol for personal protection when there are several options of the same size in 380cal. Recently there have been several small 380cal. pistols released (Sig/Kahr/Micro Desert Eagle/etc.) as well as several others KelTec P3AT, Ruger LCP, NAA, Seecamp who come to mind.

If you are favoring a larger caliber such as the 9MM Glock 19 then you have a zillion choices.. While the Glock 19 IS an excellent choice, I think a traditional Double/Action might be better suited to your needs and experience.

Personal choice in a defensive firearm is sooo subjective.. Some folks love one, some others, but you'll get a wide range of suggestions and while all of them might not be right for you, chances are several might be...

Going to a range and renting, and shooting, whatever pistols you are serious about buying is a great idea.

Here's MY personal favorites, and that's all that means.. It's MY favorites, gleaned from over 40 years of firearms ownership..

I prefer the Seecamp LWS380 in that caliber. But it's pretty pricey, and I'm sure the Ruger LCP in particular, and probably several others would suit your needs as well, at a considerable savings over the LWS380.

I prefer the HK P2000sk (V3) in a TDA 9MM pistol.. Absolutely amazingly accurate, and as reliable as anything made by man. Again tho, it's a bit pricey.

But for less money you can get any of several 3rd Gen S&W pistols. The Smiths aren't made of plastic so are out of favor or popularity now, but for the money they offer wonderful reliability, and are more than self defense accurate... I think your wife would LOVE the 3913LS (LadySmith)... It seems like most folks do.

You didn't ask, but I think a quality 38 cal. revolver is always a good choice for some folks.. Put a Crimson Trace Lasergrip on a J-frame and it IS deadly accurate.. Here's a photo of the S&W 638 (Airweight Bodyguard), and the comparable sized S&W 9MM CS9.

Good Luck!

Jesse

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello ‘Welcome’ – you didn’t give your name, - so ……………..???

Thank you for your input and suggestions. I agree with ‘Everything’ you stated.

I’m a new to this forum and I tried to be as brief as I could so as not to take up space. But after reading other posts I realize being brief is probably not an issue, and I may have left out ‘Pertinent’ information (not a good thing when wanting advice).

I (we) already have several ‘Revolvers’. (my old ‘SA Colt 45’ and three .22s, - plus a 12 ga dbl brl ‘Coach Shotgun’) strategically placed around our home (we live by ourselves).

My interest in a ‘Semi-Auto’ weapon is due to recent circumstances. I underwent major surgery last year and had a cancerous kidney removed. I lost 50 lbs in five weeks and wasn’t expected to live. But here I am, and getting stronger every day. However, I am very ‘Vulnerable’ now (NOT a good place to be), and any kind of ‘Physical Confrontation’ is out of the question, and running away is not in my character or feasible under most situations.

I haven’t shot a gun in many years, but I assume it’s like riding a bicycle. I strapped on my ‘Quick-Draw’ rig recently for some ‘Dry-Runs’ and found I am nearly as fast as I ever was (I held the 2nd fastest time ever recorded ‘Back in the Day’). At ninety (90’) feet I could consistently hit a target the size of a basketball – at sixty (60’) feet I never missed – at thirty (30’) feet I could nail an ace of spades on a ‘Quick-Draw’. My point is I don’t think ‘Hitting’ the target will be a problem for me, and I’m sure I can teach my wife. Especially when most ‘Self Defense’ shooting situations will probably be within the 30’ – 60’ range or ‘Less’, yes?

My reasons for wanting a ‘Semi-Auto’ are for the ‘Additional’ rounds without reloading, and the ‘Thin’ packaging of the weapon. We like to take road trips and our car has a ‘Semi-Concealed’ compartment on top of the lid of the counsel compartment that is perfect for ‘Handy Use’ carrying’, but which is not deep enough for a ‘Revolver’.

All the above being said, I want to restate: I have never shot a ‘Semi-Auto’ and I know ‘Nothing’ about them except what I am learning by reading the postings within the ‘PistolWorld’ forums.

As to your hoping I passed on my ‘Quick-Draw’ skills to others, I can tell you that I helped a few celebrities and western movie actors – and at the risk of being called a ‘Name Dropper’ – I’m sure you will find it interesting to know that ‘Jerry Lewis’ was a quick study and became one of the fastest ‘Quick-Draw’ artists I knew.

Once again, - ‘Thank You’ for your time in answering my post.

Roy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello there, Laserlips ('Jesse'), - Roy here:

Thank you for your time in responding to my post. You definitely gave me additional information to think about.

I found the ‘Seecamp .380’ you suggested very ‘Intriguing’, so I went to their website (www.Seecamp.com) and found it to be a ‘World of Information’ and I highly recommend it to all readers for ‘Additional Knowledge’!

However, - I live in So Cal and their .380 is not yet complaint with the gun laws here. Which eventually led me to the ‘High Standard’ website, where I found a ‘AMT .38 Super’ backup which looks a lot like a .380 AMT I bought from a private party several years ago. This was the only ‘Semi-Auto’ I ever had (and it was stolen the first week I had it, - before I ever had a chance to shoot it or even familiarize myself with it). It was the first gun I tried to find recently because I liked the feel of it and I still have a spare magazine and a box of amo for it. But two gun dealers told me it was no longer available. (???) Is this ‘.32 Super’ I found at the High Standard website the same as the .380 I previously had for one short week?

Any info will be appreciated. (‘Revolvers’ are not in the running for me at this time – I have several.

Thank you again for your time and advice,
Roy

·
Registered
149 Posts
Roy Glenn said:
Hello ‘Welcome’ – you didn’t give your name, - so ……………..???

Thank you for your input and suggestions. I agree with ‘Everything’ you stated.

I’m a new to this forum and I tried to be as brief as I could so as not to take up space. But after reading other posts I realize being brief is probably not an issue, and I may have left out ‘Pertinent’ information (not a good thing when wanting advice).

I (we) already have several ‘Revolvers’. (my old ‘SA Colt 45’ and three .22s, - plus a 12 ga dbl brl ‘Coach Shotgun’) strategically placed around our home (we live by ourselves).

My interest in a ‘Semi-Auto’ weapon is due to recent circumstances. I underwent major surgery last year and had a cancerous kidney removed. I lost 50 lbs in five weeks and wasn’t expected to live. But here I am, and getting stronger every day. However, I am very ‘Vulnerable’ now (NOT a good place to be), and any kind of ‘Physical Confrontation’ is out of the question, and running away is not in my character or feasible under most situations.

I haven’t shot a gun in many years, but I assume it’s like riding a bicycle. I strapped on my ‘Quick-Draw’ rig recently for some ‘Dry-Runs’ and found I am nearly as fast as I ever was (I held the 2nd fastest time ever recorded ‘Back in the Day’). At ninety (90’) feet I could consistently hit a target the size of a basketball – at sixty (60’) feet I never missed – at thirty (30’) feet I could nail an ace of spades on a ‘Quick-Draw’. My point is I don’t think ‘Hitting’ the target will be a problem for me, and I’m sure I can teach my wife. Especially when most ‘Self Defense’ shooting situations will probably be within the 30’ – 60’ range or ‘Less’, yes?

My reasons for wanting a ‘Semi-Auto’ are for the ‘Additional’ rounds without reloading, and the ‘Thin’ packaging of the weapon. We like to take road trips and our car has a ‘Semi-Concealed’ compartment on top of the lid of the counsel compartment that is perfect for ‘Handy Use’ carrying’, but which is not deep enough for a ‘Revolver’.

All the above being said, I want to restate: I have never shot a ‘Semi-Auto’ and I know ‘Nothing’ about them except what I am learning by reading the postings within the ‘PistolWorld’ forums.

As to your hoping I passed on my ‘Quick-Draw’ skills to others, I can tell you that I helped a few celebrities and western movie actors – and at the risk of being called a ‘Name Dropper’ – I’m sure you will find it interesting to know that ‘Jerry Lewis’ was a quick study and became one of the fastest ‘Quick-Draw’ artists I knew.

Once again, - ‘Thank You’ for your time in answering my post.

Roy
you can call me Toy if you want since names dont mean much on the web. at least imo.

congrats on your recovery.

as i stated before, your range trip will give you more insight into how you will proceed.

semil autos can be wide and bulky just like a revolver. and yes, giving as much info as possilbe, is nice, but as you have found out will clear up assumptions.

since you want that gun for that particlar space, i would assume you have done some research into what will fit.

If it was me, i would opt for a 380/9mm or something along those line since the ammo will most likely be readily available and less expensive. the 380 maybe difficult to find now, but i would think for the $$, you would be able to get more ammo for the $$. the previous post has some excellent choices. i will give you a heads up on the seecamp tho, be prepared for sticker shock.

imo, having a small caliber gun is better then nothing unless you PO a bear/cat. i belive its for close combat, IE youre not going to be shooting 60 feet, right? also, its more or less to keep the baddies at bay until you can do something/go for something else, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are looking for a small, thin gun, chrck out Kel-Tec.

www.kel-tec.com

They make good self defense guns. I have a P3AT and a PF9. Both have been perfect thru several hundred rounds. They need some cosmetic clean-up for comfort in the hand but they are about as small as you can get. I'm thinking about that space you were talking about in the car. The PF9 is about the smallest 9mm around and should fit perfectly. And I frequently carry mine in the right front pocket of cargo shorts without any problem.

I also have, and carry in waist band a Glock 19. The G26 is smaller and may be more appropriate for your spce, but the 9 mm Glocks are double stack and therefore thicker. You might want to be sure one will fit where you want it to hide.

Good luck in your pursuit of a Semi-Auto and continued best in your recovery.

Gaines

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another small thin gun is a :

Ruger LCP in .380 (9mm short)

Or a Glock in 9mm

I carry the Ruger LCP all the tome unless it's cool - then I carry my Kimber .45

All are good for carry, and very reliable.

Go to a range that rents guns and try a few out before deciding.

:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Roy,
First wilcome to the forum and much respect for your past shooting expereince. I expect you can offer much to the forum.

As for your semi auto need. I would suggest you go with a 9mm. The Springfield XD or the S&W M&P would be my suggestions. Both are well made with a trigger you can trust to be the same every time. An I expect you know well the only way to know is to shoot it for yourself.

Let us know what you decide to purchase and please share your life skills with us. Start a few threads expressing your single action experiences. I for one would truly enjoy hearing about them.

Much respect,
Will

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello there, Guys (Glasstream15 – DonDavis3 – W D Bradley), – Roy here:
Thanks to all of you for your time in posting your informative messages.

Glasstream15:
I checked out the Kel-Tec ‘P-3A’ (.380) and the ‘P-11’ (9mm) and they both look like they embody everything I am looking for, - especially the 9mm. However, - the cost of them in comparison is ‘Very Cheap’; - and that ‘Worries Me’! Only $265.00 for the ‘P-3A’ and even $10.00 ‘Cheaper’ for the ‘P-11’. (Why a 9mm would be less than a .380 I can’t figure out.) I’ll need to get more info on these before they are in the running for me.

DonDavis3:
I checked out that Ruger ‘LCP’ (.380) and it looks just about perfect too. About the same size and capacity as the Kel-Tec ‘P-A3’ (above); - but with a $365.00 price tag which I feel more comfortable with, and also I’m very familiar with the Ruger name and know they make good firearms.
During my ‘Online Research’, I also checked out the Smith & Wesson ‘CS9’ (9mm) that was recommended by ‘Jesse’ in an earlier post (Thanks Jesse), and was favoring it when I stumbled upon S&Ws Model ‘908’ which is close to the same size but holds an extra round (8 + 1 v/s 7 +1). Depending upon the price (which I haven’t found yet), - this may be ‘The One’!
I nearly had my mind made up to get the Glock ‘19’ or ‘26’ until I checked out all of the above. The thing I like about the ‘Glock’ is that from what I have been able to determine in my research it has ‘Fewer Moving Parts’. Any input on this would be appreciated.
And another thing (so many questions) is, I would like to hear opinions on the ‘Advantages / Disadvantages’ of having an ‘Exposed Hammer’ on a semi-auto.

W. D. Bradley (‘Will’):
Actually it was your message that prompted me to research the S&W ‘CS9’ that ‘Jesse’ recommended in an earlier post; - therefore causing me to find the S&W ‘908’ which I am favoring at this time along with the ‘Glock’ (s) mentioned above.
From the picture on your profile it seems you might have a dog that looks identical to mine. (How did you get that pic uploaded to your profile – I wanted to put a pic of myself up like that so people could relate to who they are talking to, - but I don’t see the ‘Upload Photo’ prompt anywhere. (‘Sheeeesh’)
As to my ‘Quick-Draw’ experiences – I do have a few stories of course. My run on the ‘Circuit’ was from about 1957 – 1961. I’m sure the stuff we did back then is probably even ‘Illegal’ today. (‘Pffft’) My 2nd fastest time ever recorded was 1/100 if a second behind another kid by the name of ‘Thall Reed’, who’s father owned a restaurant in the Southern California area named ‘Reed’s BBQ’. In the entrance to the restaurant there was a stuffed brown bear standing about 8” tall, which Thall killed with a .22 long rifle, - believe it or not – a ‘.22’!!!
I’m going back in my mind 50 years here, - and I can only remember the name of ‘One’ place that was on the ‘Circuit’ (although there were several), - and it is /was ‘Coringtonville’ (named after a western movie star called ‘Crash Corington’). Many ‘Quick-Draw’ meets were held there, and several types of ‘Formats’ (some included ‘Reaction’ time and others were just triggered by the shooter releasing a button. 30’ was the standard range as I recall, and targets were usually a six foot tall (6’) man’s life size silhouette with the ‘Kill Shot’ zones marked. We used .45 cal. ‘Wax Loads’ which were always supplied by the sponsoring organization right at the site. We even had a few ‘Rebel Grudge Matches’ with the shooters facing each other wearing ‘Fencing Masks’ and a ‘Catcher’s Chest Guard’!!! Talk about ‘Crazy’, yes.
If you have ‘MSN Messenger’ and would like to know more, just add me to your contact list using my personal email address ( [email protected] ) and we can chat in real-time now and again. Also,- it would be nice for me to have someone who is ‘Semi-Auto Knowledgeable’ right there for me in ‘Real-Time’.

Thanks to all, - Roy

·
Registered
240 Posts
Roy,
It's been so long ago that I posted that picture of the lab I don't recall how to. It isn't my dog but looks much like mine. I think I chose the picture from some that were available on this forum.

Please when you have the time share some stories, much can be learned and enjoyed by sharing your experiences.

That S&W 908 looks like a fine pistol, I own it's older brother (S&W 669, they only made it for three years). It has been a good pistol that I have carried from time to time but has a double stack mag that hold 12 rounds so the grip is wider. Over all the pistols are the same size. I expect you will truly enjoy that pistol

One of my favorite pistols is a S&W 1955 45acp (before it had a model number). I've owned it for almost 20 years and it is always one I take to the range.

I don't have MSN messger but would like to hear more from you so please share here on pistolworld.

Will

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello again, Will (WD Bradley) – Roy here:

You might find this story, which came to my mind after reading your request for other ‘Back In The Day’ Gunfighter stories:

An old friend (acquaintance) of mine was a guy named ‘Rod Redwing’, who taught many of the old cowboy movie personalities how to ‘Quick-Draw’. If you ever watched (or watch on re-runs) any of the ‘Gunsmoke’ shows starring James Arnes as ‘Matt Dillon’, - Rod is the guy who is drawing against Matt at the opening introduction for each and every episode. If you get a chance to watch a showing – note that Rod ‘Wins’ the gunfight. He waived his ‘Instruction Fee’ for a ‘Contract’ which would guarantee the showing of that gunfight at each and every beginning of the show; – thereby giving him a nice ‘Actor’s Paycheck’ for every episode that ever showed anywhere. He actually retired from his ‘Regular Job’ because of this great windfall for him.

I hope you found this slice of unknown history to be of interest.

Incidentally, as you can see – I found the way to upload a profile picture of myself (taken last month).

Roy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Roy,

The Glock 19 is probably the most reliable gun you can get. Some people prefer the 40 cal version, the Glock 23. My second choice would be a Sig Sauer either a P239 or a P229. :) I believe someone already mentioned the H&K. Another good brand in Kahr, I would go with the K-9 or K-40 but all their guns are good.

By the way, the 38 Super is nothing like the 380. Its much bigger and usually a special caliber for full sized 1911s. Speaking of which don't discount the 45ACP until you tried it. My petite daughter likes it better than the 9mm.

Charlie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Charlie, - Roy here:
Thanks for taking your time to provide me with your opinions on my ‘Quandary’.
After Reading all the comments given to me in this thread several times, and much online research, - I think you’re right about the ‘Glock’. At this point, I’ve pretty much decided to go with the Glock 19 or 26 models.
I found a local gun dealer and enthusiast fairly close to my home and have arranged to meet with him soon. After asking several questions (one on one) and getting his input also, I should have enough information to make a choice and purchase one from him on the spot.

Thanks to everyone who added their thoughts for me in this forum.

A quick note to ‘Will’ (W. D. Bradley) – if you happen to check in here:
Another remembrance came to my mind about Rod Redwing (from the ‘Gun Smoke’ opening sequence), is that he could also follow-up on his initial draw with a thing we called a ‘Finger Fan Technique’, in which he would keep holding the trigger back while using his thumb and four fingers to ‘Fan Down’ against the hammer to discharge the remaining 5 rounds (sounding like a ‘Full Automatic’. And, he was able to ‘Consistently’ hit a ‘Kill Zone’ on the silhouette target with 4 –5 of the 6 rounds. Absolutely amazing to witness!!!

Thanks again to everyone,
Roy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why?
I agree they are a fun, but expensive toy, but why advise anyone to place them on a defensive handgun? That escapes me.

Toys are not necesseties, or were you just poking him a bit.

UF

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 Charlie De

UncleFudd if you'll attend training on the proper use of a laser you would never question why they are used.

They are the furtherest thing away from a toy that you can use.

Now granted they are loads of fun to practice with .. but deadly in a gun fight.

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello all, - Roy here:

To the new postings re: 'Laser Grips', I want to thank 'Charlie De', 'UncleFudd', and 'Don Davis' for your comments.
Since my compitition 'Gun Fighting' days are way past, and I don't intend to be in 'Real Ones' in the future, I don't think an investment in the laser grips would be a good move for me. My reason for purchasing a 'Semi-Auto' pistol is strictly for 'Defense', and if I do need it - the probability is that the range would be less than 30' (at which I am a confident shooter to say the least), but even more probable the 'Target' would be even 10' or less, in which even my wife (or anyone) could hit without any problem. A 'Point & Shoot' technique for a handgun is better than trying to 'Aim' in my opinion. Of course 'Total Familiarity' with the handgun is 'Essential'!

For me (for now) lasers are out.

Thanks once again to all,
Roy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.