Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Ruger MK III Bull barrel that I'm trying to shoot for groups. I have attached an old 4X rifle scope to the bases. I know I should have a true pistol scope, but I don't have the $$$. Therefore I have to crouch and pull my head very close to the scope. Anyway I have tried resting the front of the trigger guard on a sandbag, but found that causes too much trembling and movement especially as I'm trying to pull the trigger. I tried resting the barrel itself on the sandbag, which improved the stillness, but the groups did not improve much.

The gun has great potential since I have been able to put four shots within 4 tenths of an inch or less, while having a flyer that opens up the group to 6 tenths or so (at 25 yrds). I'm sure my technique and awkward position has something to do with the inconsistency of the groups.

My question is what is the proper way to check for the accuracy of handgun without a ransom rest? What is the proper hold and bag placement. Will placing the barrel on the bag interfere with barrel harmonics? Remember I have the bull barrel. Thanks for any help.

20 ga.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, a sandbag or shot bag is the ticket. Rest the barrel on the bag and the heal of your hand on the bench. Even with open sights, I was able to get a .5" group with my Ruger MK V. Not all the time, but I could get it. Alas, I no longer have that wonderful gun.

The key for me was to concentrate on hitting the same spot. I didn't care about the center of the target, just the same thing every time. Then I would adjust my sight, but only after a really good group and doing it at least three times with 5 rounds each time.

I don't think barrel harmonics are a big issue for this gun. But that is beyond my actual knowledge, I'm just guessing here. For me, quality ammo is more important.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rugers will produce startling good groups. As was stated, good ammo is important.
Rugers will shoot virtually any ammo but it will shoot some brands better than others. I always try about a dozen different brands and types when sighting in a new .22.
Most folk will sight in a .22 pistol as has been described; indeed, a number of pistol rests are built so that the barrel rests on a support/platform. Use that set up to get on paper and to test ammo. What you may find, though, once you try shooting without the rest is that the POA has shifted. This is because the whole dynamic of an unsupported firing is different than what happens when shooting from a rest. One way to deal with this or, at least, to minimize it, is to support your wrists on sandbags (or such) and leave the gun itself unsupported.
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts