Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an elderly man with not too much strength in my arms at this time in my life. I haven't shot any guns in several yrears. I would like very much to buy a 45 cal automatic and go to the range periodically to shoot it. Today I went to the gun shop and looked at a Sig 220, HK USP 45 and a Springfield 1911. I found that I had insufficient strength to pull back the slides on the Sig and the Springfield without a lot of difficult effort. However, it was very easy for me to pull back the slide on the HK. Will the Sig and Springfield be just as easy to pull back the slides after they are broken in? Will it be as easy to pull back as the HK or will the HK always be easier??

·
Registered
944 Posts
If the other two guns get much easier to rack the slide then you would probably want to replace the slide spring. None of my guns have ever broken in that significantly. My guess is that its not likely they get much easier.

G

·
Re: re: Sig 220 vs HK usp 45 vs Springfield 1911

Fuelburns2 said:
.........None of my guns have ever broken in that significantly. My guess is that its not likely they get much easier.
+1 I would agree

Plaz it sounds as though you might want to consider a revolver. Load, Point and Click. Thats my CCW and I never feel out gunned.

But then, I'm a revolver fan.

Happy New Year! :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are you holding the gun with one hand and pulling with the other? Try the "slingshot" technique - push the grip hand away while pulling with the other hand. Uses your whole upper-body strength. Good luck!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am totally with Bboomer on this one. Get a .357 revolver.

I suggest a .357 because you have three power loads at your disposal: .38 Special, .38+P, and several different .357 loads to choose from easy 110 grain loads, to 125 grain (the #1 man stopping round) to big 158 to 180 grain loads that you don't really need for self defense.

Any of these will work fine for self defense. The .38s are cheap practice rounds and the .357 even beats the .45 ACP.

The fact that the grip does not have to house a magazine, you can always find a grip that fits your hand perfectly. They don't jam, and are not finicky over ammo. No slides to pull back.

From your list above (Sig, HK, and Springfield), you appear to want a quality firearm. I would suggest a Smith & Wesson or Ruger. A 2.5, 3, or 4" double action revolver is great for home and self protection/carry. S&W makes the 686 in 2.5 and 3" barrels which are amazingly balanced guns and point like your finger. They come in 6 or 7 shot models.

www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... sFirearm=Y

If you can find a used K-frame (my favorite) a model 13, 19, 65, or 66 would be perfect. I often carry a 2.5" model 19, or a 3" model 66.

The Ruger SP101 is a 5-shot model, but the 3" version is very accurate, rugged, and easier to shoot than the J-frame Smiths. My wife carries one with the light recoil 110-grain hollow points.

www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdR ... e=Revolver

The Ruger GP100 is a great DA revolver, but you said arm strength is an issue, and the GP100 is a pretty heavy gun.

I know revolvers aren't as cool as automatics, but they are usually more accurate and more reliable. As an old fart myself, I have really grown to like them. Pretty easy to clean and maintain as well. You don't have to take it apart to clean it. Speedloaders for fast reloads, etc. You don't have to chase you brass at the range either! I have over 20 handguns, and only 3 are automatics. I don't feel undergunned with any of my wheelguns I carry.

Sorry. I ramble sometimes. Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can't go wrong with a smith 686; I have a 7 shot 4 inch and wouldn't trade it for the world.
If you’re committed to the .45acp, the HK might be the way you want to go. But on the 1911 when you pulled the slide back did you try pulling the hammer back first? I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but that makes it much easier and sometimes people don't think of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts