Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a new gun preferably a 45. I like both the Sig 220 and the Springfield 1911. Can I hear some comments on the preferred choice and why you prefer that choice? Your opinions would be a lot of help to me since all you folks know a lot more than I do about these guns..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Plaz, I mostly wanted to welcome you to the Forum; I hate to see someone post and have their question sitting there unanswered. Welcome.

As to your question, I don't own a Springfield 1911, I own Kimber. Fact is one member of the IDPA group that I have been shooting with for 4 years now had problems with both a Springfield 1911 and the service he sought following the problems. His problems caused all of us to steer clear of them. Unjustly, I understand that. There are lots of members of this forum who own, enjoy and recommend Springfield pistols and I'm sure you would be satisfied.

I also own a SigSauer P229 with barrels in both .40 Smith and .357 Sig. I like it, but have never shot a Sig 220. For whatever the reason those shooting .45 cal shoot 1911, with the exception of a couple of Glocks. If it helps, I'd like to have a Sig P-220 (of course I'd like to have about 3 more 1911s too).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Plaz;

I agree with the guys but some other things you should consider when making up your mind about something as personal as buying a handgun.

Fit. How do the ones you are considering fir your hands physically and how are you able to function them mechanically to load and eject, operate safeties, mag catches etc.

If you are contemplating an auto all of these things andmore are very important and must not be left out of the equasion.

Also, at least for the two you mentioned are the trigger operation. One is a single stage and the other a double at least for the first round. But at any rate you should be aware of their operation and how this will affect you physically and therefore manually/mechanically.

There is a reason why the 1911 style pistols remain the quickest and most accurate first shot producers but not all are comfortable with "cocked and locked" carry of the 1911s. So the double action or the double/single with decocking devices and safeties are sometimes more preferrable.

You did not mention your financial abilities, but for the most part I believe you can find either new or used guns in most financial categories although some are more expensive than others. You might also look at quality used guns if you either know what to look for or have someone you trust who is knowledgeable to help you when you go to look.

These are a few of the things you should be aware of and consider when choosing any handgun.

Along with these are where it will be kept. How it will be used HD or carry for example.
Will this be a gun your wife or significant other will be expected to learn to shoot and if necessary be able to function.
How much do you plan to shoot this gun? Will you plan from the beginning to practice A LOT with it? If so, again choice and caliber will play a major part in your decision. (cost of ammo)

Do you have a store, range etc in your neighborhood where you can go and rent these different guns to actually try them?
I cannot ell you how important this is to the overall satisfaction of buyers. I am told this almost weekly by other dealers in my area as I have a rental program at my range and we send the potential buyers back to the original dealers who recommend they come in and try the guns before they buy.
If they buy from us, we often give them the range time to try the guns for free or discounted from the price of the gun.

Anyway I hope some of these ideas will help you in making a wise and better informed desision.
If I can be of any further help do not hesitate to ask or send me a PM I will always get back to you as soon as possible with any help I may be able to provide.

UF

G

·
I would suggest the 1911 platform. There's an unlimited amount of after-market parts. You can find any kinda part you want. (Upgrades, customizing etc.)

The Sig on the other hand is quit nice too however add on parts are not that widely avail.

I own/love and reload for both. (1991a1 ORM ser 80 and 220 ST)

You however need to experience them in your hands, to make the ultimate decision.

Good Luck

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sig.

The ergonomics of the Sig 220 are the best of all .45 automatics. Nothing feels better in your hand than a Sig. Unless you are a IDPA competition shooter (they think you're strange if you don't shoot a 1911), the rest of us kinda like double action autos. The Sig is among the best.

Yes, I like 1911s. I just think the 220 is a superior gun between these two for self defense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I had to make the same decision a couple of months ago.

Another option that isn't widely known in the P220, is that there is a SAO (Single Action Only) version. This allows you to carry "cocked and locked" similar to a 1911, but have the "single action" pull of the trigger everytime.

It's definately my favorite pistol of what I own. Has an extremely short reset, that most people are surprised over. It is also very controllable for a .45 cal.

I fired a GLOCK .45 cal (not sure the designation) a couple of years ago, and after one magazine, my hand was in pain due to the grip angle. It was a fine gun, but just didn't agree with my personal ergonomics.

I then fired a P220 DAK a few months ago (when deciding on a new gun) and it was a treat to fire. Hence I got the P220 SAO, as I wanted the SAO with cocked/lock capability versus the DAK. The DAK is also a nice weapon as well (or I wouldn't have used that as basis on a P220 SAO purchase). I just prefered to be able to carry cocked/locked versus DAK. Also I liked the shorter reset on the SAO.

I had been considering a 1911 until I fired the Sig, and was very pleased with the SIG.

HTH
Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Kimber 1911 that is fully tricked out for action pistol shooting, and for that purpose, I think it is just right.
I also have a Sig 220, and a 226. Both of these guns are far more reliable than any 1911 ever made. I talked to one of the well known gunsmiths who specializes in 1911's. He said that if his life depended on picking up either a Sig or a 1911, he would grab the Sig.
As far as accuracy, their is little to choose between the 220 and the 1911. Yes, the 1911's have the best trigger on any s.a. pistol, but the trigger on my 220 is quite good at a crisp 3 lbs. Still, it's your money, and you will make a great choice either way. But for defense it's the Sig. For IPSC, it's the 1911.
Your choice should be made based on what you want it to do.
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been giving this some thought, and now I'm thinking of selling the Kimber and buying a 220 match. I'll probably end up selling my 220 also. The 220 match can be had in either sa or da/sa, and is guaranteed 2" accurate at 50 yds. That's better than I, or most folks, can shoot. Since I don't carry the 220, the heavier weight of the 220 match version should with target and action pistol shooting.
Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to pee on your campfire, but the Sig 220 and a Springfield 1911 -- whatever model -- is like comparing a BMW road bike to a Harley Davidson.

They're vastly different guns, designed for different purposes. If you can't differentiate, then you're not seeing what makes the two designs different and you're not going to appreciate the features on either one of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.