Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im probably going to be buying a handgun before to long. i think that i have it narrowed down to either a glock or a sig sauer P226. key points that i am looking for are reliability, and accuracy. what kind of jamming problems people have had if any. if you could also mention approximately how man rounds you have put through it that would be great. also just other personal opinions if the guns would be good, anything to help me with my decision. Also i have not yet completely decided on a caliber, originally i was thinking about a 9mm because its a decent size round and its very controllable, but now im kinda thinking maybe 357 or 40 for the stopping power. so any opinions on that would be helpful too. oh and by the way ill be getting it for personal defend and range shooting. id appreciate any opinions, thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:) You didn't say which Glock. Glocks are great guns especially the 19 and 23. The advantages of the SIGs are a choice of trigger types, 22 conversion kits and the ability to change calibers. if for instance, you buy a 40, you can convert it to a 357 by buying a barrel. It can be converted to a 9 by buying a barrel, magazine and I believe one other piece. I just love the way the 226 feels in my hand. I'm saving up for an all stainless one. But Glock or Sig, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
id be looking for a standard size so either a glock 17, 21, or 22. depending on the caliber i decide on. can you not do a 22lr conversion on the glocks? id like for which ever one i get to be capable of accepting a conversion kit since 22s are cheap to shoot so id practice with that mostly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:) Most people like them. They recommend that you buy the LE version because of better sights. They say that they run flawlessly on CCI ammo but some have experienced some problems with bargain basement ammo.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Reliability in what rounds feed best through a gun is often dependent on the particular guna nd one can only determine this by running a couple hundred rounds of that particular type through the gun. Most duty type guns are tolerant of a wide range of ammo but it still pays to shoot a fair bit of whatever through it. I would not expect any problems with either gun for the most part, at least not if you kept it clean and properly lubricated. Either gun should last a very long time with proper care, the main concern is to replace the recoil spring at regular intervals. I change mine out around 3500 rounds and it can be done as a part of cleaning the gun. this keeps the slide from contacting the frame too forcibly which can cause damage to one or the other part.
As for which brand, both are very good products though I tend to prefer the SIG by a considerable margin. It is an ergonomic condition and not one of reliability. I carry a 45 ACP for work and a 40 S&W off duty for reasons other than stopping power which is pretty meager with a handgun but would have no qualms carrying a 9mm as I have in the past. I personally recommend the 9x19 as it is a good blend of power, penetration, and ease of control the latter of which is much more important than any amount of "power." It is still the cheapest to shoot and ammo is often more available than the others.
A used police trade in handgun is often a very good deal as they frequently come with tritium sights which are a good $100 in and of themselves. These guns are seldom shot much and are typically discounted a fair bit as they often show a lot of holster wear which is bad for the appearance but good for bringing down the price. Police trade ins are often looked at by a factory authorized armorer who trades out worn parts or those that are regularly replaced. In this way one is often able to get a good handgun for a very reasonable price. I have not heard of any of these guns being ammo selective as a whole, as mentioned some may have preferences but most are pretty tolerant. In fact, CCI has been the most problematical of all the brands for us, particularly their aluminum cased Blaser. It is probably the particular lot of aluminum cased Blaser we bought as I have seen many others shoot it without issue. I shoot Blaser brass the most as it is the cheapest factory ammo I have found that is reloadable. I do not recall having any ammo related issues with it though I occasionally have some problems when the gun begins to get real dirty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was in the same position...well, similar. I was stumped whether to buy a sig or a glock. So many opinions either way. I went with the sig 229, only for the fact that I shot a friends, and was dead accurate with it. I will own a glock someday, that is for sure...I want one of everything...but it's sig for now.

Good luck. There have been many before you that have tried to make the same choice...either is probably a good bet. Better than a bat...

B

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, my name is Roy:

I have another 'Topic Thread' currently just below this one, titled: 'Semi-Auto Handgun Quandry'. You would be wise to read all the messages posted there (including my responses). After all the help I received, I can only try and do my part in providing you with my opinion after spending two weeks of 'Shooting' at a range & over thirty hours of 'Very Extensive Research'.

The 'Bottom Line' after researching 'Several Factors' is:
The 'Glock 19' is a better semi-automatic handgun than any other currently on the market!!!!! Add 'Laser Grips' and you have a very trustworthy weapon in 'All Areas'!!! (My opinion!)

Good luck and safe shooting to all,
Roy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one other question, how well do sigs deal with water? i know glocks are good, i was just wondering if sigs were on par? im not talking about going swimming with one but just say that i was carrying and i got caught out in a hard rain. could i still count on the gun functioning properly?

to be honest im really just not to familiar with how much water the average gun can take before it starts to malfunction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You said you had narrowed it down to a Glock or a SIG.
Just out of curiosity, what other weapons were looked at?
Not trying to muddy the waters, just wondering. :?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That may be a tough choice for some, but I would go for
the Sig Sauer with no hesitation! Sig has been around a
long time Cops have been using them for duty guns longer
than the Glocks. They shoot pretty much anything you feed
them, and they definitely have an edge over the Glock in accuracy.
My choice would be the Sig P220 combat in 45 ACP. Would not
choose the 9mm because of the number of shots needed in some cases
to bring a predator down. I know all about shot placement, but the
energy of a 230 Gr JHP loaded up max will speak volumes over a double
tap of a 9mm. 45 acp is a sure stopper and you wont have to empty
the magazine to make sure your threat has been stopped.
Just my two cents I carry concealed on my job.
Regards Sig Shooter :) Here is a pic of the one I carry with my other favorite a Rock Island Tactical 1911

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nothing has been torture tested as much as the Glock, and it just keeps on going, and going, and going. Fewer parts than a SIG, therefore less to go wrong. And speaking of water, divers use Glocks underwater against sharks. I haven't of anyone using SIGs or anything else for that matter. (However, since most of us will only confront land sharks, either one will do just fine.)

Ergonomics goes to the SIG.

For the best all purpose range gun, self-defense gun, hunting gun, get a S&W or Ruger .357! Practice with .38s, carry it with .38+Ps or .357 loads, and it's powerful enough to hunt with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Both guns are reliable, as are guns from most reputable manufacturers. They will both last forever as will the CZ 75 and it's clones or just about any other auto from a good company. The grip on the sig is too large to be comfortable for me but I have wide hands with fairly short fingers. My IMI Baby Eagle (A CZ clone) is the only hi cap that I have found comfortable. But the sig would be my choice between those two.
I don't like Glocks even though everybody will start talking about shooting them underwater and burying them for a year and they still work. They are reliable, I'll give you that but...

The grip feels like a plastic brick, and IMO they are about the ugliest thing since the AMC Pacer. These are opinions, don't freak out yet.
The fact is they were designed with the idea that a bad trigger is enough of a safety and it costs too much to teach cops to use safetys or decocking levers. The dingus on the trigger doesn't really make it safe. If anything hooks the trigger like clothes or more common the holster strap, it's going off. The result is there are many more accidental discharges with Glocks than anything else. I know, the Sig doen't have a safety either but with that first shot being DA, you have to mean it. And then you get a good crisp SA trigger. Also, one of the ways Glock has made them reliable is very loose tolerences. Consequently, they rattle. Even when they are in battery they rattle. It doesn't really hurt anything, but damn, I hate rattles.
No matter what you decide on, shooting is alot of fun so shoot it alot and the 22lr conversion will pay for itself in no time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.