Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my career in law enforcement and through a ton of research and opinions I've decided to go with a Sig Sauer P226 in the .40 cal. I originally wanted a .45, but I decided to go with the .40 because of the higher round capacity and better accuracy. I'm going with Sig because of the full metal frame and lack of a manual safety device. Anyone have an opinion on this gun? I am going to opt for the night sites as well. An P.S. I DONT WANT A GLOCK.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can't go too far wrong with a P226.

My P226/40 has gone through almost 10,000 rounds without choking once, and it's way more accurate than I am. The standard bar/dot white sights are suprisingly visible in moderate-to-low lighting (way better than straight steel), but at night you'll definitely want tritium.

The DA/SA trigger takes getting used to; I recommend shooting pairs (one DA, one SA) to get the transition nailed down. Once you've mastered that, it's no problem. Both the DA and SA pulls are very nice. There's also the SRT (Short Reset Trigger) that doesn't alter the pulls much, but reduces the reset on the SA considerably. I've heard mostly positive, but haven't tried it. I haven't worked out much with the DAK trigger, but I've tried it in a store; it's quite light for a DA, and noticeably shorter than standard DA.

You mentioned the metal frame. The standard 22x guns are aluminum alloy, while the ST series have stainless frames. The slide is actually heavier the frame with a standard gun. If you want more weight to soak recoil with, the ST is good, but aluminum seems to work just fine.

.45 is plenty accurate, by the way...it's the de-facto caliber of bullseye shooters, who punch 2" groups at 50 yards, and the P220 is one of the most accurate out-of-the-box guns. Bigger calibers recoil more, and therefore there's more possibility of developing a flinch or anticipation, which messes up accuracy. There's also some rumors of inaccuracy about the M1911 that resulted from people shooting worn-out guns (no 1911s were made after WWII for the US Military, and they were issue until 1985, so they got shot a hell of a lot).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congrats on your chosen profession, I think I speak for most when I say thank you for the profession you have chosen, we appreciate the job you will do. The sig in 40 cal is a good choice and what our local PD carry. It's good that your PD lets you make the choice as many don't and the nights sights are worth the extra $. I think almost all LEO's opt for night sights even if they work the day shift. I would suggest you check out the S&W M&P if you haven't already.

·
Registered
62 Posts
BDM,
You can not go wrong with any SIG in any caliber as a duty weapon. The 226 is a high quality, extremely reliable firearm. I have a dear friend in the Aurora PD Police Academy, at this writing and he is going to carry a 1911, but with nights sights. I too would strongly recommend that you put night sights on your 226.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree that SIG is a fine choice, but if your dollars mean anything at all you really need to check out the M&P line of semi-autos. Smith & Wesson only brand a gun with the M&P name when it achieves a very high level of engineering and a level of confidence that the Law Enforcement and Military communities will embrace it.

Here are some recent reviews:

* http://www.defensereview.com/modules.ph ... le&sid=777
* http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/20_1/fe ... 574-1.html
* http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_han ... sh_032707/
* http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_han ... mp_032906/
* http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/mp_080806/
* http://www.policelink.com/products/prod ... sson-mp-40

This is my M&P 40 and I prefer it over my P220 and dare I say... even over my Springfield 1911 Loaded. There I said it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
S&W is a fine company and manufacture and market quality firearms, but the argument can be made that SIG's reputation in the marketplace is that of producing THE HIGHEST quality factory produced firerarm available. I too own several S&W pistols and revolvers...carried one of each for a living.....NOTHING shots with as much precision, reliability and accuracy as a SIG...even my 1911's..!!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
bigdogmax1 said:
P.S. I DONT WANT A GLOCK.
Don't worry, a lot of inexperienced people feel the way you do. You will get over it. 8)

Don't get mad, I'm just yanking your chain. :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ya BDM, why would you not want a Glock..? They are very well made, rugged, accurate, light and reliable..! Plus, they are the easiest weapons for a relatively new firearms shooter to learn on. Don't listen to "self effacing experts" who only spread heresay, rumors and false info on firearms that they truly have no knowledge of..!! Glock is a fine weapon and dozens of LE agencies authorize their officers to carry them. I carried a Glock Model 23 for three years...loved it, relied on it twice and it performed perfectly both times. Stick to your own intuitions and rely on your own decisions...afterall it is YOU who will carry whatever it weapon is your final choice..!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
PS: Why don't you want a glock? Just out of curiosity.

Youre LE agency lets you choose ANY gun? Most agencies here in MD have a list of approved weapons (Mostly from the same manufacturer) that they allow you to carry.

Anyway...if it were me I (and I'm stubborn) I would carry a mid of full size glock in .40 cal... or a Sig. The p226 is a nice weapon. I like sig or glock simply for reliability, and in LE thats really what counts. Night sights are a good idea.

I noticed you said you liked the 226 because of the full metal frame. What has you sold on those? I've never had to carry a weapon around all day but I would think a lighter weapon like a polymer frame would probably be more comfortable.

Course you could go with the trusty Berretta m9 or 92fs (Close enough to being the same gun anyway.) I've shot the 92fs on a few occasions....and it was a PLEASURE to shoot. I like the eronomics of the gun too. However, for LE, I would probably opt for something else because I think the 9mm is a little underpowered compared to the 40 or 45 and because i believe glocks or sigs will be more reliable. (Not that the beretta is an unreliable weapon.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why is it the Glock people get so offended when a person doesn't like one? Granted we know there reliable,so are other manufacture's, what it boils down to is how it feels in that persons hand, I personally really wanted a Glock but it just doesn't feel right in my hand so I refuse to buy A pistol that doesn't feel comfortable, PERIOD, get over it already!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.