Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

My wife is going to get me a 22 for my birthday coming up soon. I've been looking at the Beretta Neos and I like them pretty well after shooting one my little brother has earlier this year. I just saw where Cabelas is putting the Sig Trailside on sale for $100 off and I thought I would see what you all think about it. From what little reading I've done it seems to be a well respected gun. I was planning to get a 6" barrel with the Neos but the Sig going on sale has the 4.5". Would you all say that will matter to me much in the end?

Anything else I should be looking closely at with a budget of around $400.00?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

-Chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have one (Trailside 4.5" w/ adjustable sights and stock plastic grips), and I love it. I get a fair amount of mileage through it (at least 250 rounds a week, usually more) and I've yet to encounter any major problems. I got it as a gun that would probably always be more accurate than me, and if the factory target included in the box is any indication, it will definitely be (1/4" at 25 meters). Mine has adjustable target sights, which is nice, though if you get the fixed ones sighted in they should be just as good. The trigger pull is excellent - very light, with a crisp let-off and very little over-travel. There's some aftermarket stuff available (Larry's Guns is Hammerli's main US importer, so they have most of it), such as barrel weights and fancier grips, but the stock gun is so good I've yet to see any need, really. It also can be fitted with scope rings without any drilling or tapping, though you'll need to scare up a Trailside mount in order to do so. I have slightly larger-than-average hands and find the grips to be perfect, but people with smaller hands who have handled it also found it very comfortable.

The only issue I've had is the magazines occasionally have problems feeding the second round in the mag. It's a wierd one, and I can't really predict when it'll happen. The gun itself has been perfectly reliable - no failures to eject whatsoever.

The other nice thing about it is that it is absurdly easy to strip and clean - the trigger guard is the takedown lever, the slide slips forward and off the frame, and you're done. After playing with a Ruger MKI for a while, it's definitely appreciated.

It's a bit pricier than the competition, but I haven't for a minute regretted paying $450 for mine. Some of the best money I've spent. And everyone who tries it out seems to agree.

The 6.5" looks just as good - less compact, but longer sight radius. The difference in accuracy is probably academic, unless you're an Olympic-grade shooter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll drop by and take a look at one while they have them on sale. Even though I'm sure I don't know enough to tell any difference, I kinda want the 6" and adjustable sights. The ad doesn't say which Trailside it is they have on sale but I doubt it's the higher end model.

-Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ditto to what the Bunnyman said. I own 2 Trailsides one 6" w fixed sights and a 4" model w target sights. These are very accurate, high quality pistols for the price. They were made by Hammerli for SigArms. I believe they have been discontinued, so I am purchasing as many as my budget will allow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again guys. Over the weekend I fondled the one Cabelas had on sale but decided against it. After looking at a few different stores I think my wife will be getting me the Ruger MKIII Hunter. I just love the way that gun looks and feels.

-Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have one of the new MK3 Hunters in stainless steel. Great balance and feel. just a bit more accurate than my Trailsides but jams more often and is much more difficult to take apart and clean. I am wondering if anyone else that owns the Hunter is having similar problems?

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Rugers are notoriously tricky to strip - in particular, there's the "why the ____ won't the ______ bolt cycle?" problem. They need some time to break in; the new ones are pretty stiff. I couldn't tell you about the Hunter in particular, but you may want to add a rubber mallet to your cleaning supplies to get the slide into alignment with the frame. Then there's getting the swinging hammer linkage into the mainspring housing, which is a royal pain.

What kind of ammo are you feeding the Ruger? That may contribute to the jamming problem. I've noticed that my Ruger may stovepipe from time to time with weaker ammo; is that the problem or is it misfeeding?

·
Registered
112 Posts
My Ruger 22 doesn't give me any problems at all. Maybe because its a RE-VOL-VER. It eats Semi's for breakfast. :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
159 Posts
My Mark II eats everything I feed it and has done so since day one. Its not the easiest pistol to disassemble, but it really isn't that bad once you have done it. I have the 4" bull barrel variant and it is very accurate. My S&W 617 probably has an edge on the Ruger, but not by much. The Smith has a far better trigger when fired single action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts