Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont get on here very ofton but id laike to ask is someone can point me on the right driection of what model this S&W revolver i have is. and is possable how can i see what year it was made is there a way to read the serial number? im guessing rather old, my grandfather owned it and passed it to me.

sorry for the crap pictures i only have a cell phone for picture taking.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check the barrel, right side. It should say "___ CTG," which is the chambering. It has six chambers, right?

Looks like a k-frame smith, five-screw, service frame (rear sight milled into frame, rather than a target sight mounted on frame). Open the cylinder and look below the barrel where the yoke (the hinged bit that holds the cylinder) fits. If there's a model number stamped there (probably "10-_") then it's 1957 or later; if not, it's earlier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it says ctg. its chambered .38spl. it also does have 6 chambers. ive owned the gun for a few years now, but never knew any info as to what frame it was. i want to get a nice leather holster for it so that is why im here asking.

there is some numbers on the yoke, they are stamped like this

H

·
Registered
141 Posts
The numbers on the yoke are actually assembly numbers, used during production to keep track of parts. The gun's serial number should be on the butt. (sorry for the goose chase...) From the style of the stock checkering, The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson suggests it was made between 1946 and 1952. It's a pretty standard Military & Police model, so any 4" K-Frame (or Model 10) holster will work fine.

As for holster makers, DeSantis, Galco, and Bianchi come to mind. I'm sure the other guys on this board can point you towards other, smaller makers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome! thank you. yea grampa passed away before i really could get many details on it. but i remember him every time i take it out shooting..... 6 rounds at a time :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could be an old Model 10 or M&P, but one of the experts will know for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Post the serial # look on the bottom of the backstrap between the grips post it and I will look in my Jenks S&W book for the approx. date of manuf. I have one like it from about 1917/8 but yours looks like it is polished a little better almost like "brite blue".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts