Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I would like to know what you think about the Smith & Wesson Sigma, and if it is a "good" quality for the price(250$). And, is it a good quality gun, or would saving for a better brand be more considerable?
I would pretty much just be using it as a side arm while hunting, mess around with, ect. I don't spend much time on the range, so
I wouldn't be putting more than one or two boxes of rounds through it a month, if that much at all.
So would it hold up to my "needs" or would I be better getting a Sig-Sawer or something in that category, or is there anything still on the cheap side but higher quality than the Sigma.(I consider cheap to be $400 at the most, anything over $450ish, might as well save for a Sig, or one with a good reputation.. for the most part)
What's some of the most common problems with the sigma?

(((I'm not normally one of those people who go ask questions without researching, but the sale end in.. a couple days, and my internet is broken, and I'm leaving town, so I might not have time to research, thanks for your help!!!!)))
Thanks, Francis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive owned a sigma 9mm for a couple of years now and it is my carry weapon and its a good weapon overall, it is a copy of the glock line of pistols and they are very similar as they disasemble the same way. they are accurate but some people are bothred by the heavy trigger. IMHO the only way t know if a pistol is good for you is to go to a gunshop ask to see one handle it get a feel for it and decide for yourself. I have not encounter a single failure with this gun and even competed with it plscing second overall and beating a whole lot of shooters with weapons that were much more expensive than mine. also is very important to practice with it. I would recomend it to anyone whos looking for a inexpensive but completely reliable sidearm.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For the money and your intended use it is a good pistol. As with any used pistol give it a good looking over for signs of excess wear.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Sigma was the first Glock clone. It was Gun of the Year when it first came out, however, it had a lot of problems. Many police departments that had S&W contracts flocked to the new guns, but returned them sometime after only a month. Smith was real quiet about the problems, but word got around that they were unreliable. They let dealers and all their salesmen buy one waaaaay below cost hoping we would like them and push them. That didn't work. I just sold mine to another store employee who wanted to sell it to a relative. Guess he didn't like his relatives.

That was many years ago. S&W has fixed the things that were wrong as far as I know, or they wouldn't still be selling them in this "sue everyone for anything" world we live in today. The gun has great ergonomics. They did do a lot of research in the grip angle and shape. As it turned out it was the same angle as the 1911. The only problem that I hear about today is the trigger, and most Sigma owners say they get used to it.

If money is tight, I'd get a used S&W revolver. Used .38 revolvers are pretty cheap, and nothing is more reliable, but then, I'm partial to wheelguns. For a little bit more money you can get a Ruger P series and they have a great reputation for durability. The Ruger SR9 is an excellent 9mm. Save up more and there's the Glocks. And finally, as you have suggested, the Sig Sauer. Again great ergonomics with the Sig, but you've also got a healthy price tag to consider.

Good luck with your choice. Let us know what you get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts