Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first I want to say that I stumbled onto this forum about a week ago and have read and learned quite abit, so thanks alot.

The reason I'm posting is because I'm currently in the market for a new 9mm autoloader. I used to fire afew different guns back in my college days but since getting married I haven't gotten much of a chance. On a whim I took my wife to the firing range one weekend and to my shock she loved it. We're now looking for our first mutual gun. It will mostly be hers, but I'll be using it too until we can afford to get a .45 for me down the road.

At the range she rented a Glock 17 and a Sig 2022 and she's fine with a 9mm, so I started researching the newest options available and was pretty overwhelmed. I think we've narrowed it down to these few, what do you guys think?

Glock 17 - Reliable, simple, easy to use, and not too expensive. I like the simplicity and ease. This is our baseline right now.

Sig P250 - Seems pretty solid and customizable. We both liked the Sig 2022(which is also a possible option) and saw this. While we haven't held it yet it seems like it would be nice. I've always liked Sigs, but I'm pretty open.

Ruger SR9 - Seems similar to the Sig but alittle cheaper. Have heard great things about this gun from friends. I really like the look of this pistol, but have never held it in person.

Springfield XD(M) - The XDM seems kinda expensive for afew extras but my wife likes the feel of it quite about. The regular XD is nice too, but it seems so much like a Glock that we may as well just go for a Glock. It does have nicer ergonomics and comes in some nicer finishes then the Glock so it may still be an option.

So those are our top choices right now. We also looked at the S&W M&P but it seemed kinda pricey for what it was, especially for being our first.

We want a new gun that can be used for both fun target shooting at the lanes and home protection if needed. We'd like to spend $500-$600 but can flex in either way abit(especially lower!).

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am no expert but just spent alot of time researching and holding 9s. You may want to look at the Kahr CW9. Its a nice little reliable gun with good reviews that's well within your price range.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
First, welcome to Pistolworld.

If your wife shot and liked the G17, and since you say it is going to be mostly hers...I recomend you let her try the G19. It is just a little smaller than the 17. The shorter grip might fit her hand a little better.

Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses all. We're going back out to the range tomorrow and we're gonna try the G19. I'm not sure if they have a CW9 to rent, but maybe to hold and feel.

Is the G19 easily concealable if one of us decides to go with CCW license? I'm not a huge fan of the smaller sub guns but having the option to conceal would be nice, I guess I'll see how it shoots compared to the G17.

Thanks for all the replies, if you have any other input it's definitely appreciated.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
The G19 is a little smaller than the 17 but it isnt a subcompact. That would be the G26. The G19 does conceal very well, I think you will like it. :wink: :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't think any firearm in history has been tested, tortured, and abused as much as the Glock, expecially the G17 because it was the first successful polymer, striker fired semi-automatic to hit the market. Before it came out people questioned that it wouldn't be visible through the airport X-ray machines; how long would a polymer gun last, etc., etc., etc. Hundreds of thousands of test rounds fired through them. I remember two or three 100,000 round tests; under water against sharks, covered in mud, sand, frozen, baked, dropped, 6 months in salt water and still keeps on ticking like a Timex. It had 50% fewer parts than other guns at the time, so there was less to go wrong. Everybody had the perfect model to copy, all of the clones began to emerge, but no one has topped it yet. The XDs, the Sigmas, the M&Ps, etc., and even the SR9 are all clones, and some even cost more, but you don't really get a better gun. Then when the FBI was looking for an issue gun they did it all over again, and the Glock still passed through it all.

Now, all that said, any of the guns you mentioned will work just fine (except maybe the Sigma, unless they finally got the trigger problem fixed). Sigs are great guns, but expensive. I just bought a SR9 for a fun gun for plinking the cheap Russian 9mm stuff and so far it's been fine. However, if you want a carry gun, in 9mm, and your butt is on the line, I'd still say get the Glock over anything else.

Real shooters, carry wheelguns, but that's another story . . . . :mrgreen:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had much the same selection problem with the 9 MM in an auto pistol, so I simply bought them all!

SIG P-226 SCT, GLOCK 17, GLOCK 19

Since then I've added the Mini Glock 26. All are excellent pistols. The only problem is keeping all of them fed! Bill T.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:) If you are looking to save some money, think about buying a used Glock. Especially with the 17 you can get police trade ins which are not shot much but with some holster wear. Check out places like Summit Gun Broker for used guns.
Shoot some real Sigs, 226 or 229. Although they are expensive brand new, Sig takes their trade ins and refurbishes them and sells them as CPO with a warranty. They go around 550 and are an excellent buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have (4) 9mm's; Glock 19; Sig 2022; Walther PPS AND S&W M&P COMP. Plus, I soon will be getting a Taurus 905 9mm revolver. Of all the one's I own, the Glock and Walther are my fav's, followed by the M&P. The Sig is a great gun to shoot, but a pain in the drain to breakdown and clean. My buddy has a Bersa, and claims that he can't make a bad shot with that 9mm... We gone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I have over 30 long guns, I am new to pistols. I figured I start with 9mm and branch out from there.

My first pistol was a Spreewerk Walther P38 in 90% minus a correct magazine. Ever since I was a kid I wanted a P38 as a character in a book series called "The Butcher" carried one.

My second 9mm is a CZ 75b in polished stainless.

Where should I go for my next pistol. I was thinking either a Glock 17 or a Herstal FNH FNP 9mm.

Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hard to beat a Glock. They do nothing but run, anytime, all the time. I have 9 MM Glocks in the Model 17, 19, and 26. All run like scalded dogs. Bill T.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The Sig P226Elite is the best non-plastic gun shown in this thread. I do not shoot plastic guns and so I am biased. The Brownings and S&W steel guns are also good ones to look at - used in excellent condition and you won't break the bank, either.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glock is the best, but if you want a good, accurate, fun little shooter that is quite affordable look at the Ruger SR9. I've been very impressed with mine. The older Rugers are as about as dependable as they get, but the SR9 just feels better in your hand.

The CZ75 is a great pistol and it has fantastic ergonomics, however, the Ruger didn't cost near as much.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9/images/3301.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts