Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks for posting.
I am posting for my son who wants to buy a .357
its primary use is deer hunting but could be for defence while camping. He has a limited budget so used is an option. he wants the most for his money like most do. if you have any caliber suggestions go for it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If the primary use is, as you said, deer hunting, then I'd say a 6" barrel is the minimum.

A Ruger GP-100 (either blue or stainless) will handle butt-kickin' 180 grain loads all day.... the kind that would kill a K-frame Smith in pretty short order, but the kind of load you should be using for deer hunting.

If you step up to the L-frame or N-frame S&W wheelguns in .357 (Old Model 27 or 28, or new Model 686) they will handle the full-house loads.

The "limited budget" could be a problem.... none of the above mentioned guns are cheap.... even used. On the other hand, as a general rule, a cheap gun is almost always NOT a good deal. Buy quality... it pays off in the long run.

Edit.... forgot to add: I see you're in "Northeast Minnesota"... I was born and raised on the Range (Hibbing), and have a chunk of land and a hunting shack near Bigfork. Small world.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ruger Blackhawk with 6-1/2" barrel. Lots of used ones out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I was looking to conserve the cash I would definatley look at the Taurus line. Lifetime warranty, similar to S&W with many ported models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool hibbings nice. I do want quality. so he might have to extend his budget. i also saw an ad today about the new .327 ruger and federal ammo is making. it sounds interesting also i will look at some of your suggestions.thanks
the gp 100 looks nice. but keep on posting

·
Registered
606 Posts
The .327 is too light for deer.... it's a slightly more powerful (and slightly longer) version of the .32 H&R Mag.... which is a slightly more powerful (and longer) version of the old S&W .32

A .357 with a hot 158 grain load is the lightest I'd go, and a stout 180 grain load is better.

Regarding the Taurus.... They have a fundamentally good design, but their quality control is very poor. If you get a good one, it's a good revolver, but I've seen far too many bad ones to even consider taking the chance.

Another possibility is the Colt Trooper.... it was basically a plain-jane version of the Python. The Trooper Mark III isn't quite as smooth as the Trooper, but is still a quality firearm. They are no longer manufactured, so they could only be found on the used market.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Re: re: some good .357s that a 13year old could use

TexNekkid said:
Ruger Blackhawk with 6-1/2" barrel. Lots of used ones out there.
+1

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should run some searches on a site like http://www.gunbroker.com/ . You can get some idea of the price range of the suggested guns both new and used. On the lower end you'll find the Rossi and Taurus lines and S&W and Ruger on the higher end. You can also run some yahoo searches for reviews. Then go to a gun shop or show to see which one feels and points the best for you and your son.
My experience in guns and other hobbies is that I have regretted not buying the better piece of equipment in the first place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts