Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 38 for my wife, she is left handed and does not like any of my pistols. I am looking for a Left Handed 38 Special Revolver, preferably snub nose so she can carry in her purse or person

·
Registered
606 Posts
killerb -

I never knew anybody made a southpaw revolver, but Charter Arms would be WAY down the list of revolvers I'd consider.... in fact, it wouldn't even be on the list. My list would be Colt, High Standard, Magnum Research, Ruger, and Smith & Wesson... a pretty short list.

As you said, any wheelgun ought to be pretty easy for a left hander... in fact, the first six shots are a non-issue. And, in my estimation, if six shots ain't enough, you ought to be runnin' instead of fightin'.

Found myself a metric Crescent wrench, by the way.... it actually works for both SAE and metric, but you gotta flip it over, 'cause it says 300mm on one side, and 12 inch on the other side. I tried it on a 3/4" nut with the metric side up, though, and it rounded the corners off that nut in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't like the looks or quality of the Charter Arms revolvers myself. Let me be clear to all that I am not recommending that revolver. I was merely pointing out that someone does indeed make a left handed revolver.

wwb, would you like to purchase a left handed hammer to go with that metric crescent wrench of yours? Its very rare.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've got a left handed screwdriver . . .$150 obo

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a left handed hole punch I'll sell cheap....But you'll need to buy killerb's left handed hammer to get the best use out of it.......

BTW.... my wife has a Charter Arms .38 undercover ( probably 25 years old)... wouldn't even compare it with my S&W

·
Registered
175 Posts
A single action revolv could be considered LeftHanded. Ya got hold it in your left while loading with the right. Works pretty well for me. I'm a lefty and it works out okay for me, but there again, being a lefty has made me more adaptable than others.

I don't think I've seen a double action that had either the cylinder opening to the right or the release on the right side.

HWD

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All Right well now that I feel like a complete Jackass please allow me to explain myself. I took my wife to the range and she fell inlove with my dads .38 She was griping about it being made for righties and someone in the next lane mentioned a "Southpaw" Revolver. I couldnt remember who he said made it so I figured I would ask here.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sorry.... we really didn't mean to come down on you.

Honest, until killerb made his post, I never knew anybody even made one, and I've been shooting revolvers from .22 through .44 Mag, both single action and double action for nearly 50 years.

As I said, though, I'd avoid the Charter Arms like the plague.... life is too short to own a crappy gun. And you darn sure don't want to trust your life to anything but the best.

None of the high quality manufacturers make a left-handed version of their wheelguns. If your wife is petite, have her try a Ruger SP-101 either 2" or 3".... with Hogue grips if she doesn't like the Ruger grips. Next step up is an OLD S&W Model 19.. either a 2" round-butt or a 4" square-butt. Look for one with a pinned barrel and a recessed cylinder.... Model 19, 19-2, 19-3, or 19-4. Models 19-5 and later, I'd pass.

Edited to add:

Godspeed to you and all the other servicemen in harm's way. Come home safe and soon.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad. I knew what you meant, I was just joking with wwb. Lefties have been making do with products meant for right handed people since the beginning of time. I am sure your wife can adjust to a revolver designed for a right handed shooter and become adept at operating it with some trigger time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: re: Southpaw for my wife

killerb said:
I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad. I knew what you meant, I was just joking with wwb. Lefties have been making do with products meant for right handed people since the beginning of time. I am sure your wife can adjust to a revolver designed for a right handed shooter and become adept at operating it with some trigger time.
Ditto that.....just playing along..... But, as stated Charter Arms are not on my favorite list !

G

·
If you have not seen or shot a Charter revolver in the last 2-3 years you might want to re-load your opinions( hi-standard has been out of business for many years, they only made 22's) I remember a few years ago that winchester made some not so good working guns but they are good now, also some other companys have made fine comebacks in the past.
charter is american made and just because they are more affordable that some other guns that does not make them cheap, they are the only gun company making a lefty so if your wife is left handed and it will help her be more safe/comfortable why not but her a lefty??
I have seen the south paw and it is cool, it works very well and its a lightweight.
find one in a store and take your wife doon there to check it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: re: Southpaw for my wife

oldretailer said:
If you have not seen or shot a Charter revolver in the last 2-3 years you might want to re-load your opinions( hi-standard has been out of business for many years, they only made 22's) I remember a few years ago that winchester made some not so good working guns but they are good now, also some other companys have made fine comebacks in the past.
charter is american made and just because they are more affordable that some other guns that does not make them cheap, they are the only gun company making a lefty so if your wife is left handed and it will help her be more safe/comfortable why not but her a lefty??
I have seen the south paw and it is cool, it works very well and its a lightweight.
find one in a store and take your wife doon there to check it out.
Definitely not above rethinking....Just going on personal experience, and again, my undercover snubby is about 20 years old. As always, it's good to check 'em out for yourself !

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
At the request of a Charter Arms representative I am posting this:

"WHY THE CHARTER ARMS SOUTHPAW
IS THE FIRST GENUINE LEFT-HAND REVOLVER

There is lots of confusion and flat out misinformation about what is a left handed revolver…

The Colt Single Action Revolver was NOT made for left-hand shooters. It was and is specifically designed and made for right-hand shooters.

The Colt Single Action Revolver’s loading gate is on the right side. This could make less experienced shooters think the Colt is a left-hand revolver.

Samuel Colt knew what HE was doing. Colt did not design his single action as a left-hand revolver—why would he do that? Colt analyzed his potential market and engineered his pistol to be fired and reloaded right-handed, which was and is the strong hand of 85 % of shooters then and now.

After firing, Colt’s single action revolver would be moved to the shooter’s left hand (weak hand). Then the right hand thumb opens the loading gate. The LEFT hand (weak hand) is used to eject the fired cases while holding the revolver. The right hand (strong hand and best for manual dexterity for right-handed shooters) loads the cartridges into the cylinder.

The French had a double action revolver (Etienne) in the late 19th century. This French double action revolver, like the Colt Single Action, had a loading gate on the right side (the cylinder did NOT swing out). The reason the French put the loading gate on the right side was the same reason Colt did.

This is the same reason modern single action revolver makers still do it this way, and if any of them felt it should be done the other way for right-handed shooters, they would change things—they haven’t.

OPERATION OF TODAY’S MODERN DOUBLE ACTION SWING OUT CYLINDER REVOLVERS

Which are designed for right-handed shooters (until the Charter Arms Southpaw came along).
Right-handed shooters obviously shoot right-handed. When it comes time to reload a swing out cylinder revolver, it is lowered and the thumb of the dominant hand (right) is used to release the cylinder while the revolver frame is also held in the left (weak) hand. The cylinder is then pushed out by using either the middle two fingers of the left hand (experienced shooters) or with the trigger finger of the right hand.
Once the cylinder is open the middle two fingers of the left-hand hold it open (experienced shooters). The fired cases are generally ejected by the thumb of the left hand operating the ejector rod, or if tight in the cylinder the ejector rod may be forced with the palm of the right (dominate) hand to eject the cases.
The thumb of the LEFT hand is used to rotate the cylinder for single cartridge loading. The new rounds are loaded into the various chambers with the right hand, which is the dominate hand and (for most mortals) and has the greater dexterity. Then the left hand thumb or palm of the left hand (generally) is used to close the cylinder while the right hand is moved to grasp the revolver’s grip.
Left-handed shooters are at a disadvantage with a right hand revolver because they must manipulate a right-handed revolver much differently than right-handed shooters.
IT’S A SIMPLE FACT!
The Charter Arms Southpaw is the first production revolver made for left-handed shooters—period!"

G

·
Really thats a new one the left handed revolver. Im left handed and just like most leftys i have just learned to live in a right handed world. I just switch hands when i go to load thats all. Im even right eye dominate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I think the pistol is going to have to wait she want a new kitchen floor. She will probably end up changing her mind once I redeploy. I now want to get the Charter for myself to see if I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
OOPPS!!!

Looks like I stepped on some toes with my comments about a single action being left handed. Kinda like a baitcaster reel actually being lefthanded. Ya don't gotta change hands after casting,just start winding the handle.

My reasoning is this...If I can shoot and maintain the grip with my stronghand while reloading, then to me it's Lefthanded. I never have to let go of it with my shooting hand.
Though I've not seen one of the Charter Arms lefty guns, I will be looking for one, atleast to fondle and check out. Who knows, I may just own one of them shortly.

YA'll have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HWD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts