Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to add a set of lighter, smoother springs for a new uberti cattleman 1873, New Model. Brownells seems to have 2 sets that would work,

969-323-290
Uberti Wire Shooters Spring Pak

and

969-323-260
Uberti Flat Shooters Spring Pak

Do I need both?
If not, what are the pros and cons of each type of kit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S.- I need a new base pin (one that came with gun had a bad burr, I polished it away but it still isn't quite right)
Brownells has it for $20,
midway has it for $6, any difference in quality?

·
Registered
606 Posts
re: Spring kit for Uberti 1873, Flat shooter or Wire shooter

I don't know what the difference is between the two spring kits..... the question I'd ask first, though, is what's the difference between them and the stock springs?

With a Single action wheelgun, if you're looking for accuracy, one generally goes with a heavier hammer spring to reduce the lock time, and a lighter trigger return spring to keep the trigger pull down. That, coupled with a little 1200 grit diamond stone work on a few select surfaces will give you as slick a wheelgun as you could ever want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

TY for the reply WWB, I opened up the grip on the gun, the mainspring is a flat type, so I ordered the flat kit. Thanks.

When I open up the gun to install the kit, I had planned on doing a bit of polishing and smoothing. The 1200 grit stone you mentioned, can I use that on a Dremel?

What areas of what parts should I focus on?
I must admit, this type of work would be a first for me; Ill take all the advice you feel like typing, lol. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: re: Spring kit for Uberti 1873, Flat shooter or Wire sho

Vt.birdhunter said:
.......The 1200 grit stone you mentioned, can I use that on a Dremel? .....
No power tools of any kind. You need to keep the flat surfaces flat..... ESPECIALLY the sear engagement surfaces on the trigger and hammer. A Lansky brand knife sharpening stone in the "extra fine" grade will work.... otherwise look in a catalog of machinist's tools. It will be a long, thin, flat stone.

Aside from the sear, the sides of the trigger and hammer can be smoothed to reduce any drag, as well as the mating surfaces on the frame. Also, any other spot where there is relative motion between two parts. A final cleaning and a light application of "Gunslick" to the stoned surfaces will make it about as smooth as you can get it.

·
Registered
606 Posts

It will work for most of the surfaces, but it won't work for the most important one.... the sear.

The surface you need to stone is about 1/32" wide (varies some from one type of pistol to another, and from one manufacturer to another), and the stone must have a sharp edge with the grit going all the way to the edge in order to smooth the engagement surface. The proper stone will look like a flattened ball-point pen.

Look at the sear (where the trigger and hammer "catch" each other when cocked) on your pistol, and you'll see what I mean. When stoning the sear surfaces, you must keep them flat, and you must keep the angle exactly the same as it was.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Gotcha, TYVM. Im going to pop the hood, take a look. Ill order something appropriate when I see the task your describing.

Ive checked Brownells and Midway, didnt see something as you describe (likely I missed it). If anyone knows of a supplier, Id be grateful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Spring kit for Uberti 1873, Flat shooter or Wire shooter

Birdhunter, what you saw when you took the grips off was the mainspring. This is not the spring addressed in the 'wire' or 'flat' shooter's pack. The springs you ordered are for the trigger/bolt (cylinder stop) which will show themselves when you take off the frontstrap/trigger guard.

WWB, the difference from the factory springs is that they are lighter and provide for an 'instant' or poor man's trigger job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.