Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to purchase my first semi-auto, always had revolvers til now. I would like a ccw primary need, secondary home defense, and third for target shooting. I am looking at the Springfield XD-40. Can I get some opinions on that gun? Also considering the 9mm. I was set to get a glock 23 until I realized the lack of a safety on the gun, made me nervous for having kids around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious as well....my needs are the same, I am pretty sure I have it narrowed down to the Ruger SR40c and the SA XD sub .40. I've handled both, I like the Ruger's size but I wasn't too excited about having a manual safety on the slide. The XD feels nice and "beefy" but maybe a little too much for a carry option? They just came out with a sub compact XD M too.....geeze I wish I could just have em all!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Between 40 S&W, and 9mm Luger I'd take the 9mm Luger every time. I'd, also, look at CZ and FNH-USA pistols, too.

9mm +P+ self-defense ammunition is (almost) ballistically identical to quality 40 S&W SD ammo; and 9mm is, both, easier to control as well as a lot less expensive to practice with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first ccw was my Glock 26 which I still carry to this day but I'd highly recommend the XD-40. I ran my XD-40 sub against my 26 and my Sig P250 sub in 357sig and the Springfield shot better groups hands down. It also has a grip safety, chambered indicator and rail for mounting a laser/light. Plus they give you a decent holster and dual mag pouch with it. Good luck and shoot straight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of my co-workers has a XD-40 and I was close to buying one myself but I opted for the SR-40. I just felt for my needs the SR-40 was a better fit and it cost nearly 100.00 les than the XD. We have shot at the range and both guns are very accurate, I guess what decided it for me was the SR-40 fit my hand better than any other 40 I tried....Hope you find the right gun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.