Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new pistol owner, but own many long rifles and shotguns, and have a (maybe stupid) question. I bought a Springfield XD40, 4" barrel .40 cal, for CCW and home defense and got the OK from the wife to buy a Sig Sauer P229 as well. I know the Sig is used by Secret Service and Spec. Ops. and the like and I want to know whether anyone has more experience in these two different pistols for CCW. Would I be better off using the XD or the Sig for CCW and what are the pros and cons to each?

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is like asking, "What would be the better choice to drive to and from work, a Chevy Impala or a Ford Taurus?" They are both very good guns and would be absolutely suitable for your purpose. Chose the gun you like to shoot, like the appearance of, seems more intimidating, or whatever reason you like. I don't place much credence on who carries what, not that long ago the Secret Service carried 59 and 69 series S&W autos and they were not all that well thought of by many. Like all government contracts, price and who knows whom often play a factor in a decision though the process in this arena is so competitive that the odds of getting a dog of a weapon is pretty remote regardless of who makes the gun.
I carry an XD but have owned various SIGs and would have no hesitation carrying one of them if needed. The only con I can think of off hand is with the XD, the grip can be a little slick if one's hands are cold and/or wet though a little bicycle tape and/or leather gloves (depending on the weather) took care of that. There probably are more varieties of "off the shelf" holsters available for the SIG and will be a bit wider in distribution but the XD is not unheard of and the larger and better shops should have at least a few different XD compatible holsters in stock. The biggest problem I found was getting to the store before the XD holsters were sold out as it seems there was a great demand for them with a limited supply. That was a couple of years ago so that situation may be resolved by now.
Again, either gun is a good one and you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My only question to you is can you have your wife make a phone call to my wife and tell her how I really really really need a Kimber Ultra Covert? And while she's at it if its not too much trouble could she also convince her that I really really really need Perazzi??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sgt.Olie

Sir, I would sugguest to carry the XD. Yes, I am an XD fan. I have carried the Glock's also, but the xd is by far a better feel to me.
Now to answer your question. The XD would be more practical, the Sig is the cadillac of guns, but unless your showing your buddies how much money you have just to carry this pistol, then stick with the simple action XD. There are no safety to worry about, just grip the XD like you mean business, and your ready for action. Great choice in both weapons, but to ccw I would stick with the XD.
Here is a website to try for the XD's. www.pistolgear.com They have holsters, mags, parts, almost anything you want for it.
I use the Blade-tech IWB holster. It is made of Kydex. No bulkey leather, just almost as thin as the wepon itself.
Good luck in whichever you choose to carry.

Those who talk, are not Prepared to Act. Those that are prepared to act, do not Talk, they simply Do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sgt. Olie,

I have no experience with the XD; but, I've been carrying a P229DAK (in 357Sig), in a DeSantis ICE II pancake for about three years now. I'm very satisfied with the P229DAK, I qualify with it, I carry it, I know I can depend on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts