Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can help me.

In the past few months I have been getting squib loads in my 38 special and 357 magnum with a few stuck in the barrel. I have been reloading pistol ammo for around 4 or 5 years and never had this problem. My usuall load is 3 grains of Clays in the 38 with a 150gr cast and 4 grains of clays in the 357 with a 150 cast (have been using these loads for a few years without problems). I have tested my powder measure and found it to be consistent and I always visually inspect my cases in a loading tray after charging them. The only thing I can think of is that I have recently changed from using federal no.100 primers to fiocchi primers as federal primers are so expensive now in Australia. One other thought I had is that I annealed all my pistol brass a few months back to prolong their life and this may cause the cases to let go of the bullet too early thus reducing the pressure.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you changed to an unknown to you primer, i would suspect that first.

after that it could be your annealing the cases, but dont you apply some crimp? I would since having the bullets work out would be a pain.

i would also review your loads with the powder mfg website and verify its the current loading for the given bullets.

another thing i would do is to chrony them to verify your loadings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went back to Federal Primers today, fired about 100 rounds and had no problmes at all. I guess that Fiocchi primers are the problem, dont know what I am going to do with them, I have over 3000 of them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Marty- Primers are still in fairly short supply, if you post them in the "classified" section or on one of the gun auction sites, they will go. Glad you figured out the problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
marty_aus said:
I went back to Federal Primers today, fired about 100 rounds and had no problmes at all. I guess that Fiocchi primers are the problem, dont know what I am going to do with them, I have over 3000 of them.

Id keep them and work up a decent load. you may have to up the powder or crimp tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it were me...I would send an e-mail to the Hodgdon tech and give them your recipe and ask them if its ok.
I have sent a bunch of requests for help to the various powder companies and have got a fast reply with the answers I needed.
Changing primers from the known recipe may be the problem.
Some are hotter than others and vv...!!

Don2

·
Registered
1 Posts
in my opinon the primer were not you problem
if the bullet made it into the barrel it was shoved to that point
with just the power of the primer-Been there done that-it looks
like you are making light cowboy loads and it is hard to see a overly
light load even if you look in side each case.My bet it is your powder
feeder or you got distracted and failed to put powder in. I had this
problem and switched to a auto load powder system -Problem solved
Diablo :evil:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear that it could be your annealing the cases, but dont you apply some crimp? I would since having the bullets work out would be a pain. I guess that Fiocchi primers are the problem, dont know what I am going to do with them, I have over 3000 of them...!!!
:D :wink: :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.