Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot 1911's for a long time. I'm thinking about getting a 9mm. I bought a G17 for my boy several years ago. Shot a few rounds through it, but like my series 70 much better. I have all the respect in the world for Ruger. I've owned several. Any input?

·
Registered
149 Posts
why dont you head on over to a gun rental range and try all the 9s they have?

Ruger makes a good lineup including the SR9. but if youre not sure, i would do alot of testing before you drop the $$$.

i would get the SR9, but i have many other toys in front of the SR9.

if you dont have any specific features for your 9, then the skys the limit and i would try/handle/shoot as many as possible before i buy. there are so many other 9s out there other then the ones you have listed in the title.

btw, if you like the 1911 platform, why not a 1911 in 9mm? i have several and i like them alot along with bigger CFs 1911s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like Rugers...I used to own a P95, but after swapping a lot of different pistols, I came to the conclusion that Glock is it. Some people don't like them as they are relatively loose in tolerences. The is so that they will operate full of dirt, sand, and whatever else. They also complain about the lack of an external safety, but after you get used to shooting any handgun, you realize that Glock has it all, because you can pull it and shoot without fumbling with leavers. They are extremely accurate out of the box. They are nearly indestructible. Best of all, they have few parts easily accessible and anyone can work on a Glock (mostly for customization as they hardly ever break. Sorry to be windy, but I like them.

Dave :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Going to a range that rents is the best advise anyone could give you. While there you should check out some Sigs(I'm a big Sig Sauer fan), the Beretta 92, and the S&W M&P. Have Fun! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up a new SR9 not long ago, and while I am short on pistol experience, it sure shoots sweet. Great fit and finish, and it fits my girly (genetics - what are you gonna do?) hands. The sights are dead on for me, and absolutely no issues in 200 or so rounds now, both FMJ and JHP rounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have gotten a lot of good replys; mine is to take a look at the CZ 75 or it's clone the TZ 75. They feel good in the hand are all steel and last forever. My TZ75 competition gun has over 30,000 rounds through it and it only shows some holster wear. The triggers are good the sights are good and they have a very comfortable grip. If you get a chance to try one you will be happy.--Zane

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you intend to carry the weapon? (i.e.-Does size matter?)

Do you want a polymer frame weapon?

Does capacity matter?

Does cost matter?

Do you want the ability to modify the weapon to fit you? (availability of aftermarket components)

Can I ask any more questions? :?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I finally caved and bought a 9mm because the price of ammo has shot up so much the last couple of years. I normally carry a .45 ACP, but sometimes I go with a .357. But since the 9mm was going to just be a fun gun, I went with the Ruger SR9. It was cheaper than the Glock, and I know that Ruger backs their products very well. It handles well, and shoots the cheap Russian ammo great. But as I said, it's a fun gun.

That said, if buying a carry gun, I'm sticking with Glock. It's the ultimate save your butt gun. Nothing has been tested as much, and done as well as the Glock. I've carried the Glock 21 for over 15 years now. Personally I don't trust the 9mm as a threat stopping round, but there are gazillions of folks out there who do. I like things that start with a 4.

Or you could stick with your Colt, but fun shooting is pretty expensive these days with a .45.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I do not like Glocks or, for that matter, plastic pistols, in general. I have a great many friends who carry Springfield.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts