Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my new MP40 I already had downloaded the manual and had already fired 50 through a rented MP40. As generally directed on these Forums, I took it apart, inspected it, cleaned it and applied a little lube as directed. I tried dry firing it (which is OK according to the manual though some caution against that) and it sounded a little weak compared to other guns, even compared to the S&W 22A I bought recently. I was bothered by the fact that the striker assembly is not to be inspected according to the normal take-down procedure. How do you know if it is clean? It is the most important moving part in your gun. It makes it go bang!

A question I asked about lubricating the striker drew an exceptionally informative answer on the MP-pistol Forum. I'll pass it on because I think all MP owners should be aware of it. The answer I got on the MP-Forum included a video that was extremely helpful. When you have field-stripped the MP, lay the slide upside down and look at the aft portion. There is a bright button that you can press that releases the striker to move fore and aft with its spring. There is a simple way to use the frame tool to hold the plastic tube surrounding the striker forward so the end block slips easily out. Then the striker and its spring slide easily out of the channel and can be inspected. It should be clean of metallic dust which can accumulate due to the slide scraping on the top round in the magazine. It does not require lubrication.

After I did mine the sound of the dry firing click was improved. The trigger pull seams about the same which has been fine in my opinion.

To me it is very curious that S&W does not say anything about this key component in the manual and yet they took steps in the design to make inspection fairly easy.

Here is a link to the discussion on MP-pistol forum:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?/ ... -assembly/

There is a video by Arizona Sharpshooter that shows exactly what to do. Manipulating the nylon sleeve around the striker is a little tricky. Take care not to damage it. The sleeve must be depressed to remove or install the end block.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts