Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. i am new to this Forum and its my first Post. I am looking to purchase a new suppressed Ruger MkII/MKIII .22 and need some info in it.

1. Whats the difference between MKII and MKIII?
2. Whats the life of a Ruger Mk II Suppressor and how many rounds can be fired thru it before it needs to be changed...if it needs to be changed at all.
3. Is it easy to maintain and disassemble and re assemble?
4. Is it easily available to the civilian market in Washington D.C? The suppressed one i mean.
5. whats the price of a suppressed Ruger Mk II/MkIII...approximately?
6. How should i clean the suppressor?
And my last question...

What caliber is it? .22 or .22 Long Range and whats the difference between these two calibers?

Thank u all in advance for being patient with so many questions. Any info regarding these questions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and be safe everybody.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well... I'm not the best person to answer these questions, but I do know a little about the pistols you are looking at.

First off, the MkII is the second gereration of .22 pistol that Ruger has made, while the MkIII is the third.

Second, supressors are classified as Title 2 weapons. In short, you need a permit to own the supressor, and I do believe that you give up your right to an unreasonable search by police. If anyone knows that I'm wrong please post it because I can't remember if you give up the right for both Title 2 and Class 3, or just Class 3.

Third, the MkII is a pretty simple gun. Most auto loaders are a pain to clean, but I have a friend who owns one, he hates cleaning it, but it's simpler than most guns. I don't know anything about the MkIII, but I can't imagine that it's extreamly different than the MkII.

Third, I think Washington D.C. doesn't allow supressors (Like washington state).

I can't answer your 2nd, 5th, and 6th questions respectively, because I haven't got a clue as to what would be the answer.

However, your final question I can answer with some confidence. The .22 is just the caliber of the bullet. The standard measurement for American calibers is inches, and the .22 caliber is 22/100 of an inch in diameter. The .22 Long Range, or Long Rifle as I know it by, is a cartridge that is longer than the .22 Short, and I believe the .22 Long. It is a rimfire cartridge, and is the main cartridge that people use for plinking, on account of the facts that it is the cheapest ammo available, it has virtualy no recoil, and it is the most readily available cartridge available on the market.

Sorry I couldn't answer all your questions, and if some of my info in inaccurate, but this is what I'm pulling off the top of my head from stuff I looked up a couple of years ago. Good luck on getting better information, as there is certainly better information available than mine. Sorry about any bad spelling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
X maybe I can help you out here. No DC does not allow Suppressors sorry. As do they wear out No. Most .22 Cal Suppressors are a Welded Contained Unit but some like the TAC 65,Stratus,Quest by Tactical Innovations do disassemble for cleaning. Sealed .22 Cans can be soaked in a mixture of 1/3 Kroil,1/3 Automatic Tansmission Fluid and 1/3 Acetone for several days and blown out. The more you shoot a .22 Suppressor the quieter it gets. My first Gemtech Outback was used on a Full Auto 10/22 for thousands upon thousands of rounds and just got quieter as time went on. When I thought it needed a cleaning I just submerged it in the mixture described above for a few days and blow it out with compressed air. Hope this helps you with your question. Gemtech's Ruger Top End for the MK Series is a nice choice but there are quite a few and the John Norrell Intergeral Barrel is right up there with the best there are.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Eurowolf, Title 2 and Class 3 are both names for the same thing, which is an N.F.A. weapon, National Firearms Act of 1934.

No citizen gives up any rights by becoming owners of N.F.A. weapons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
22 short is just a 22LR with cut down...less powder. I hate that particular cartridge. lol.

You'd be hardpressed to find a weapon nowadays that utilizes such a cartridge. My great uncle, when he died, willed me a WWI or WWII (I forget) era single shot boot pistol. It was really quite interesting. You twisted the whole barrel to the side, inserted the round, twisted it back, cocked the hammer, and fired. THAT weapon was chambered in .22 Short. Its not really an effective round. I took it to the range and fired it...you can't hit crap. Althogh, most of that was because of the extremely short barrel on the weapon.

I guess I would equate a .22 short to a very high powered air rifle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Xcalibur said:
Hi everyone. i am new to this Forum and its my first Post. I am looking to purchase a new suppressed Ruger MkII/MKIII .22 and need some info in it.

1. Whats the difference between MKII and MKIII?
2. Whats the life of a Ruger Mk II Suppressor and how many rounds can be fired thru it before it needs to be changed...if it needs to be changed at all.
3. Is it easy to maintain and disassemble and re assemble?
4. Is it easily available to the civilian market in Washington D.C? The suppressed one i mean.
5. whats the price of a suppressed Ruger Mk II/MkIII...approximately?
6. How should i clean the suppressor?
And my last question...

What caliber is it? .22 or .22 Long Range and whats the difference between these two calibers?

Thank u all in advance for being patient with so many questions. Any info regarding these questions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and be safe everybody.
I have Mark II from 1979 and it does not lock the slide open on last round.. the Mark III will do that.

Other than that, I think there aren't any significant operation differences. Cosmetic, of course. Mine's an old blued gun with a couple of blemishes.. the newer Mark III comes in brushed ss and other finishes, and I saw one in the shop today with nice wood grips... my old one is a big heavy hunk of metal, almost NO recoil, amazing. But it won't fit in your pocket. :)

Oh, and .22 LR means Long Rifle... the bullet is a bit longer and heavier than .22 short, and of course more powder goes in the longer case. Pistol muzzle velocities can pass 1000 fps with decent ammo, in some cases over 1300 with costlier stuff... High Velocity, of course, not Standard Velocity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.