Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 1911 .45, and have heard very good things about the newer Taurus models. The larger local gun store tries to push me toward their most expensive models, Kimbers and S&W, so I wanted to ask -- how does the Taurus compare? I did notice it is about 6 ounces lighter than most 1911's.
I am a strong believer in "you get what you pay for", so how are the Taurus models 300-500 less?
I currently own a SIG P226 in a .40 and LOVE it, but want a 1911 so my wife and I can go shooting together. My wife will probably shoot my SIG more. I am looking for a quality gun that is accurate and suited for home defense also. Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have no first-hand experience with the Taurus 1911, but my experience with Taurus revolvers is enough to keep me from even considering their autoloader.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did end up buying the Taurus PT1911 and have to say that I don't regret it. It is very well made, very tight tolerances, 0 play. I have put about 200 rounds through it with no problems, and it's very accurate.
I do have a question about general care -- I sprayed the frame down with Gun Scrubber after shooting it, as .45 seems to be a pretty messy round, and thus degreased it. I generally oil the slide grooves, barrel, guide, and any friction areas, but I was wondering if there are any internal parts that should be oiled as well?
Also, are all 1911 barrels designed the same way, that is, with a little eyelet that pivots on a hinge? Man that is a pain to put together. It freaked me out a bit, because I wasn't quite sure if I got the pin through it the first time... A bit more tedious than my SIG P226.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two hunderd rounds through a Taurus 1911 is off to a good start. Glad to hear it functions well, however when you have 5000 rounds through it let us know how many parts were replaced and weather or not the frame is cracked.

Being six ounces lighter usually means alloy frame, for a high volume range gun a steel frame will take more use and abuse.

Home defense is best provided by a 12 gauge with 00 buckshot, especially for your wife. Close only counts in horseshoes and 12 gauges, everyone else needs to aim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.