Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might strike you as an odd thread title, but let me explain:

My first gun was a CZ 452 FS in .22LR. I bought it because it was an outstanding value for its price. Fit and finish were top notch, the gun was accurate out of the box, and the whole package was an awesome value. Very classic looks, what with the full stock and bolt action. I shoot it standing unsupported, so while I'm sure there are more expensive guns that are more accurate in a benchrest, I never shoot in a benchrest, so it's a moot point for me.

Taurus seems to strike me as the CZ of the pistol world. Excellent quality, fit and finish, accurate out of the box, classic looks (Colt 1911!) and excellent value. I have heard that their quality control is poor, but I don't know if it's just brand-hating or legitimate.

As you may have guessed, I'm looking at something in .45 ACP. Do y'all think that the Taurus is a good buy?

Cameron

·
Registered
141 Posts
re: Taurus 1911's = The pistol equivalent of CZ rimfire rifl

CZ is the CZ of the pistol world. Still is. Hardcore but rather small following, and very nice pistols, especially for the price. And they have the CZ97 in .45ACP.

Tauri are a mixed bag. There's a higher-than-average chance of getting a lemon, and if you do the procedure for replacement is, comparatively speaking, nightmarish.

If you want an inexpensive 1911, there are better options. Check out Springfield Armory.

·
Registered
12 Posts

The initial reports on Taurus 1911 have been very positive. They are still trying to get past their former reputation since previous guns they have made have gotten mixed reviews. Their customer service has been a particular point of complaint. While it is basically a good piece the fact remains that a Springfield Mil Spec can be had for less money while a base model Kimber can be had for a little more. Both of these will hold their value better than the Taurus so I'm not sure that the Taurus is the BEST value.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Interesting as I also shoot a CZ 452 FS and a PT1911, Both are fine guns and a good value. Have other 45s, Colt and Springfield and a Rock Island receiver with a Ciener .22 conversion on it. The Taurus holds its own with them, in fact it has the best trigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts

If you check, the taurus already has several modifications that the springfield doesnt. IE fitted barrel custom trigger jof, relieved ejection port, and several others. this work would cost well over 500 to pay a smith to do and its already done. I have read about a few problems with the ambi safety popping out but so far (500 rds) that hasnt happened to mine. the PT 1911 is most likely the best 1911 for the dollar. In 2 years the new price has gone from 450 to over 569. Id expect resale value to stay up there as well

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: Taurus 1911's = The pistol equivalent of CZ rimfire rifl

Zeede said:
Taurus seems to strike me as the CZ of the pistol world.
They wish. CZ quality is a huge step up from Taurus. I haven't seen their 1911s, but their record on the other Taurus semiautos hasn't been very good the last few years. There's a good reason why so many folks are down on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I'm a big CZ fan. I have a 452 .22lr with the hogback stock and a 97B pistol. If you haven't tried a 97, give it a roll. It's a little bigger than a 1911 but it's sweet and is a good value. It's a very comfortable gun to shoot; felt recoil is more of a healthy push than a slap, even with full house loads.I've only had one problem with mine so far. After 2000 rounds or so, the gun would go into battery when inserting a magazine with the slide locked open, without releasing the slide lock. It required a minor modification. Customer service was great and I had my gun back in 2 weeks. I understand from other forums that the problem with the gun is atypical but the service is typical.
My next acquisition is a 75D PCR compact in 9mm, a good carry gun. Any CZ product is very accurate out of the box and the ergonomics are top notch, so your 452 is pretty representative of the species.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.