Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Taurus model 17MBCH chambered in .17 HMR (see Page 24. http://www.taurususa.com/gun-search.cfm) three years ago. I wanted a small revolver as a backup and I am very impressed with the .17HMR. This revolver carries 8 rounds, is “hammer-less”, and is fairly lightweight. When it arrived I ran to the local indoor range to see how it would perform. I went through the first 8 without a problem. I reloaded and fired until the third round when I noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of trigger pull. It fired once more and locked up! I had to wait 20 minutes until it cooled down enough to open the cylinder. I ended up “tapping” the ejector rod on the table top to extract the spent cases and live ammo. Since that event it has been to the Taurus factory and returned to me three times. It still does the same trick, I can't get beyond the twelfth round before it locks up. So far I've spent more than $100 in shipping fees and now I'm looking at sending it back for good. That's another $30!!! I'm going to write Taurus a note telling them how I feel about the quality of their “fine” products. I doubt they will give me my money back, more than likely I will get a coupon good for redemption towards the purchase of another “fine” Taurus product. I will post their response here provided I get an answer.
Anyone want to buy a paperweight that looks like a gun?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't hate Taurus, I just never really liked them. You can always find a better gun for just a bit more. It doesn't pay to mess with them. Their quality is spotty, and I've heard horror stories about their customer service. I don't think their guns are "bad", I just don't think they're that good. Beretta, S&W, Springfield Armory, Glock, H&K are all good firearms. Why mess with Taurus? Bill T.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't say I hate Taurus. The reason I bought one was that Taurus produced a weapon that met the criteria. "I wanted a small revolver as a backup and I am very impressed with the .17HMR. This revolver carries 8 rounds, is “hammer-less”, and is fairly lightweight."
I couldn't find anything that matched what I wanted so I ended up with a Taurus.
I looked at Smith & Wesson's .17 HMR Model 647 pistol but It looks to me like a revision of their .44 mag. So it was not a candidate for carrying concealed.
The only Beretta I could find chambered in HMR. 17 is a rifle.
The same applies to Springfield Armory and H&K, no pistol in HMR .17. At least I couldn't find one.
So if you have a URL for any pistol chambered for HMR .17, Id very much like to see it. Please!
Thanks for the reply.
Mav39

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm sorry but do I understand you to say that you want to use the .17 HMR as a 'carry weapon'?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is correct, I wanted to use a small revolver or auto loader pistol as a backup to my Glock 30. That means I would carry both at the same time concealed. I am very impressed with Hornaday's HMR .17 ammo that claims a muzzle velocity of 2550 fps. I think the muzzle velocity would compensate for the bb sized projectile in a close quarters situation. While it most likely wouldn't put an attacker down I'm sure it would get their attention. I used to own two rifles chambered in HMR .17 and I was impressed with their performance until Remington recalled their rifle. Seems like Remington didn't do their homework on this one.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had to send my Taurus back 3 times before they finally got it right. Like you, I had to pay for each trip. Finally found someone who wanted it anyway, and I gladly sold it to him.

Taurus will never get another dollar out of me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I was researching pistols, what I got from everything I read was that buying a Taurus was a roll of the dice. If you got a good one it would perform trouble free and be a great pistol, but if you got a bad one, it was a nightmare. I decided to stay away from them as I was looking for a SD weapon. There are better pistols out there for marginally more money.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd be real interested in finding out why the gun got so hot that it took you 20 minutes until it was cool enough to open the cylinder. That's pretty hot.

Maybe Preacher is right ... "the roll of the dice" comment. I reviewed my acquisition of a little Taurus TCP738 (.380 ACP) on this bulletin board, and after quite a few more hundred rounds than earlier reported, it has yet to cause me a lick of heart-ache. My opinion of Taurus is quite different than some. Not saying you're wrong ... I'm just lucky I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts