Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Taurus RB .454 Casull with a red dot scope. The price was right but didn't need the scope. Whomever previously owned this piece attempted to attach a Picatinny rail on the barrel. After removing this rail, I find that the guy hand drilled and tapped holes of varying depths and skewed slightly off center and parallax to the barrel.
My question is what is the type of stainless steel that this gun frame is made of?
My proposed repair is to topically (TIG plug weld) the holes with a similar stainless steel and refinish the rail. In doing so I would need to heat sink the rail with copper so as not to create any large stresses in the rail. Has anyone done anything similar to this before and if so, what would be your advice?

·
Registered
606 Posts
SwissTech said:
....... what would be your advice?
Dead serious.... put the rail & red dot back on it, and sell it to a total stranger you hope to never see again. If you can do it without taking a financial beating on it, so much the better, and consider it a cheap lesson.

A very simple rule to live by: If it isn't the way it came from the factory, walk away from it. Far too many guns with so-called "professional" work have been nearly ruined, and most with true amateur work are basket cases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I could do this but my conscience won't let me. I will make four 6-48 threaded shafts from 410 SS. These will be screwed tight and cut off with about .030" extending from the rail. These stud ends will be melted into the top rail (TIG welded), resurfaced and then bead blasted to match the original finish.

I didn't pay much for the gun and it would only be used as a secondary weapon in AK this year. Thanks for your advice and I will probably sell this later on. If you're interested n a photo when I get done, let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that the Picatinny rail on the Taurus that was installed was a Taurus rail so there was no way tell what was underneath the rail when initially purchased.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.