Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy
I am a Lover of the .32 Caliber round in a S&W revolver. Over the years I managed to come across the New Version Model 16-4 which is chambered in .32 H&R Magnum, but the Original offering model 16 K-32 in .32 S&W Long always managed to elude me. :cry: I was contacted on another Gun forum Board by a member that had a K-32 and he expressed his love for the .32 Round as well. I asked if he would sell the K-32 to me, and he quickly refused. :cry: I kept his contact information and after a period of about Three years, we were able to put together a swap. :D I offered him a Rarely seen "Dayton Outdoor Sports" revolver which was one of 2038 made back in the Late 1960's in .38 Special caliber and a newer model 34-1-J-Frame snub nosed .22 Revolver. I was Not aware that this man's K-32 was a Pre-16 until just before he shipped it and I asked for a Picture of it. I was also Pleased to see it was early enough to have the Narrow rib Barrel. Once I got it, I found out it was shipped in 1951 as well. I have worked up a nice Target Load for this revolver that proved to be very accurate as shown. I have only seen ONE Other Model 16 in my 30 Year search that was newer than mine shown. There was only a little over 4000 of these made from 1939-1974 so they do not show up often. It is a joy to shoot targets with as it has a low report and very low recoil... Hammerdown

·
Registered
3 Posts
In a 20/20 hindsight moment, in circa 1974 at a ( hardware ? Sporting Good ?) store in Powell WY , they had a set of new K22, K32, K38 ! Even back then I had a thing for full size .32's, but alas it was beyond my 14 yo budget.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: re: The Elusive K-32 Masterpiece

biggfoot44 said:
In a 20/20 hindsight moment, in circa 1974 at a ( hardware ? Sporting Good ?) store in Powell WY , they had a set of new K22, K32, K38 ! Even back then I had a thing for full size .32's, but alas it was beyond my 14 yo budget.

Hello Biggfoot44
They started making the K-32 in 1939 and like all other S&W revolvers they ceased production of Civilian guns till after World War II being around 1942 for most S&W models but since the model 16 was not very Popular back then so they ceased production of it in 1940. The Pre-War K-32's are the hardest to locate with only around 94 of them made. They resumed Production of the K-32 in 1947 and Ceased Production of them in 1974. There were Three design changes made through the years so the dash-3 Model was the last one made in 1974. The last One I saw for sale other than this one went for $4500.00 with a buy it now option at this price it only lasted a Few days before being snapped up quickly by a serious collector. The Post War Five screw Pre-16 K-32's that had a six rib Narrow barrel and back strap which were short run from 1948-1952 when they changed The barrel to a Ten rib wider style barrel and the back strap area of the frame had Ten ribs as well. In or around 1956 they dropped the Upper side Plate screw as they were then called a Four Screw revolver. Again in or around 1958 they dropped the trigger Guard screw so those were called a four screw gun and in 1957 They stamped the Model Number being 16 In the crane area. In all the years they made them being 3,630 total made in a Period which computes out to 35 Years, it sure does not leave a bunch of them out there to find these days. I wanted a Modern K-32 which was released back in 1989 so Bad I could Taste it. I Placed an Order with my Local dealer and never saw one come in. They ceased production of the Newer Modern K-32 model 16-4 which was chambered in the .32 H&R Magnum in 1992. They Offered it in three barrel lengths being 4"-6" and 8-3/8" at that time with a total Production of all three Barrel length's of Only 8800 of them. They Only were offered in a Blued finish and they came with The Optional Target Trigger, Hammer and Combat styler finger groove grips. Due to the Unpopular .32 H&R magnum round S&W decided to Drop this Model 16-4 as it was called from production as well. I was Lucky to come across one with a 6" Barrel about 9 Years ago shown Below New In box and have enjoyed shooting it since I got it. I recently Picked up a Pre-17 K-22 Revolver shown below the more modern K-32 Model 16-4 Below that is very close to the age of my Pre-16 K-32 shown above. I Lack only the K-38 which they made Plenty of back in the early 1950's and when the right one comes along I will add it to my collection to give me the Three revolvers of tha Masterpiece series Being the K-22 K-32- and K-38. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello
Here is one of the Low Production total of 94 Pre-War K-32's. I Hope to own someday. It is owned by a collector friend of mine, and we have talked of him letting it go to Me when he feels the time is right.. Hammerdown

1 - 4 of 4 Posts