Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These comments apply to both jacketed and hard cast pistol hunting bullets. Meplat Area (MA) is the portion of the nose of an expanded jacketed bullet or the front of a hard cast bullet. Generally speaking, the larger the MA, the more tissue damage on game animals. We accept this fact on jacketed bullets, handgun and rifle, without really thinking about what happens.
Speaking now of hard cast handgun bullets. Many of the early designs on hard cast had too small MA and we saw over penetration and little tissue damage. Very early, Elmer Keith, in "Sixguns", started handgun hunters thinking in a new direction with hard cast bullets. Since then many designers, like Veral Smith, have added their knowledge based on actual field experience.
Some that have been designing hard cast bullets, like John Anderson and I, will be moving over to Pistol World from Beartooth Bullets.
We will be discussing the finer points of hard cast bullets as related the game hunting. I hope we will be able to answer questions on the pros and cons of hard cast bullets........James

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul and All......The comments I will make apply to all hard cast calibers.
First of all....I am not saying hard cast is better than jacketed bullets in handguns. Both jacketed and hard cast are good and have their place. It's up to the shooter to decide which is best for his hunting situation.
Jacketed handgun bullets, as with jacketed rifle bullets, are designed to expand within a certain velocity bracket. Too slow and they do not expand, too fast and they frag. The jacketed handgun bullets of today are a far cry from the early bullets.
My rule of thumb for choice is based on whether one is hunting thinskin game or potentially dangerous game. I tend to use hard cast bullets on wild hogs and such......but this opens another situation and that is Meplat Area (MA). Actual tests being down by John Anderson confirm the importance of the MA on hard cast bullets! I am sure when he finishes his tests he will post the results. To sum up for hard cast......tissue damage comes from velocity and MA, while penetration comes from Sectional Density and velocity. It is most inportant, when using hard cast, that a very latge MA is considered to stay away from over penetration and give good tissue damage.
If the reders desired, we will discuss this further, but will not get involved in arguements. It will be up to the shooter/hunter to decide what they want to shoot!.......James

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that's a good looking rifle!!!!!
Now.....As I have stated, I want to try to stay away from the arguements that have ranged (and damaged) other forums concerning one caliber over another. It can become a very emotional subject!
As for excessive recoil.......I have said many times one should shoot what they like and can control. Some shooter/hunters can spend the necessary time to train for the heavy recoiling firearms......others can't or don't want to. After all is said and done....if you can't hit with it, you might as well throw cherry bombs.
What we are going to try to do, is show results on various bullet designs, with both text and pictures.....then let the shooter/hunter decide which design fits his needs. .....James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.