Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am thinking about purchasing a revolver in .44 mag. I am leaning towards a S&W 629 Classic. IT will be primarily used for target shooting and maybe some hunting. I have a few questions though:

1) Whats the difference b/t a Model 29 as opposed to a 629?
2) Is there anything I should look for....good/bad?
3) Would it be worthwhile to look at something else like a Ruger Redhawk?

As always your info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-TJ

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
The Ruger Redhawk is a fine .44 magnum. With that being said, you'll always want a S&W .44 magnum, so go ahead and get it. :lol:

·
Registered
149 Posts
imo, i think the S&Ws are really nice guns. i have a 629 , 6.5 inch and 629 CLassic in the 5 inch tube and i think the 5" tube is the more balance both visually and physically. I also think if you choose to have them smoothed up, the triggers can be really nice.

at one time S&W offered some 629s and other version with 4 position click adjustable front sights setup for silhouette shooters. im not sure if they can be found, but they were unique.

some of the S&W have black on black sights and i personally dont care for them especially on black targets. i always try to change the rear sights to white outline (WO).

Rugers make fine guns too. both in the SA style and DA style. It all depends on what you want and how you want it.

Dan Wesson made a "pistol pac" where you had several barrel lengths to choose from and use since the barrels were interchangable.

Freedom Arms makes some really nice and accurate revolvers. they are spendy tho.

really for whats out there, you really cant go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
tjcolda said:
Is it possible to change barrels on a 629? To go from a 8 3/8 for hunting to a smaller 3 incher for other purposes?
on a S&W i doubt it. Some of the early S&Ws had "pinned" barrels. even if you could, i would think that you would shoot any the barrel loose and then you would have to figure out how to get the cylinder/forcing cone gap everytime you swapped barrels. then you would have to figure out how to line up teh sights for any wear in the threads.

If you want to swap barrels, you would be better off with the DW.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just a word :) I suffer from BAAAAAD :( arthritis in the joint where my right thumb joins the hand.
It hurts much of the time :evil: .
As a "studly" shooter, I went through a stage where I shot red-hot .45 LC loads and full power .44 Mag
ammo. I only stopped when my hand went numb with periods of pins and needles sensation for a few months.
There is no way I can say that hot loads caused my arthritis... this info is just passed along as food for thought. :?: :?: :?:
Happy and safe shooting.
///olde 8) pharte///

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.