And last another South American copy of a S&W Mdl60
had the whole crane and cylinder fall of when she
ejected the empties

All made for an exciting class -

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well that would give you an idea of what guns to stay away from ,
you have to have reliability or you might as well just throw the gun at the predator! LOL :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
People who buy cheap guns have no real fear for their lives. It's a shame, too, as most I see on the range qualifying could certainly do better than a Jennings.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Now, that is sad....however, a little research would have brought forth the information on those "handguns"(?) Scary..

·
Registered
10 Posts
These are the same people who will never re-visit the range to practice nor take any additional defensive shooting education. I also saw fellow CCW class members showing up with brand new, ill-functioning junk. One classmate handed me the remainder of his box of ammo declaring, "I wont need these, I only need enough bullets to fill both of these clips".

·
Registered
21 Posts
wwb wrote:
Life is too short to own a cheap gun.

Life might be too short because you owned a cheap gun. I, too started my gun career with "Economy" brands. As I have gotten older, I have come to understand that there is no economy in a cheap product. For self-defense, nothing is too good.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Back when I knew absolutely nothing about handguns I went to a gun show with a friend of mine who was an ex-cop. We stopped at a display that had a bunch of Jennings .380s for $99. He thought it was a good deal, and I almost bought one of the silly little things. I kinda wanted something that shot something larger, however, and held back. Thank goodness. A few months, and a lot of research later, I wound up with a Glock 21. Quite a bit of difference.

He's still my friend, but I've got more and better guns than he does now!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry, my last post made me think of another crappy gun story.

We used to have a public, outdoor range, but the county said it cost too much to operate and closed it down, even though the labor was supplied by trustees from the county pen.

One day I had a sweet looking little lady in the booth next to me, and I couldn't help but noticing her target. Pretty bad. Looked kinda like a 50-yd. 12 ga. pattern instead of a handgun. I looked to see what she was using, and yep, it was a Jennings .380. It would stovepipe about every third shot. She was actually getting pretty good at clearing the jam, but her shooting was awful. I noticed she was wearing glasses and was probably having trouble seeing the dinky little sights.

We had a quick lesson on a sight picture and I let her shoot a S&W 19 loaded with .38 Specials. Darn if that old gal wasn't good with a decent gun! She did great and enjoyed shooting. She said her son thought she needed a gun in the house, and bought her the Jennings. I explained to her what a POS that Jennings was (I used nice language), and if her son really loved her he would take back that garbage and get her a S&W K-frame in .38 Special. (The gun she was shooting was my mother-in-law's 2.5" 19 she bought when she got her carry permit at 70 years old.) She wrote it down, thanked me, and I let her finish her session with the Smith.

I sure hope she got one of her own. She looked like a really nice grandmother.

·
Registered
297 Posts
papawman said:
Another has a south american copy of a PP
First shot - off came the slide
could not repair on range
another student had a .380 which she let him use

And last another South American copy of a S&W Mdl60
had the whole crane and cylinder fall of when she
ejected the empties
Only three good things ever came out of South America:
1. The food.
2. Panama hats.
3. The thong. (And sometimes this can go dangerously wrong!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts