Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the tiniest gun I have ever seen. I'm not an expert on guns but I am somewhat knowledgable. It is a little less than 5 inches in total length, with about a 1 1/2 inch barrel. It is a .22 single shot "derringer"? Engraved on it is a U with two symbols, each one on top of the other . I am sure that this gun isn't worth much value. I'm just curious as to what it is. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mmiller,
your post is 3 yrs old and I'm not sure if you even check back here on occation. If so this little pistol is 4.5" overall length, the barrel is a smooth bore 1.95" long. it is a .22 rim fire and it is marked with a German proof mark (double crown over U) on rhe cylinder, the front right side of the frame where the screw can be loosened to remove the barrel, and on the right side of the octagon part of the barrel. The left side of the frame under the grip and the left side of the trigger is marked with a 4.
In the book, The Pinfire System, by Gene P. Smith & Chris C. Curtis, they discribe this German proof mark (crown over U) as the final definitive mark on revolvers manufactured after 1893 and was also used on firearms tested in the finished state. The second crown indicates the second proof as required by the proof law of 1893. This double crown over U was used on revolvers from 1893 until new proof regulations were introduced in 1939.
I have no idea what the value of these might be. Too many moons have set and suns risen since I aquired mine, that I am not sure where or what gun show I picked it up at.
Here are a few photos of the one I have.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.