Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can say with confidence — despite a chorus of anticipated protests, that I can provide quasi-official, authoritative quotes from unimpeachable sources that will support diametrically opposite views regarding the role of FFLs in transfers and shipments of handguns.

For a week now, I've tried every which way to determine whether I can receive a handgun in a USPS flat-rate box without mandatory hand-holding by an FFL on either end. I know some of you are thinking: What a stupid ass that guy is, any moron knows federal law demands that FFLs bracket both ends to provide legitimacy to the transaction.

Well, I have read very persuasive prose that private intrastate handgun sales are perfectly legal, and may be consummated by the parties without the interference of FFLs, and further, handguns may be shipped intrastate by USPS without the need or blessing of FFLs.

How am I going to solve this once and for all? Who can provide the killer information I can take to the bank?

In this case, buyer and seller reside in Florida. They are agreed on price. Neither wishes to drive 250 miles to do a FTF. For the purposes of this exercise, please don't contrive complex scenarios in which one or both of the parties are serial killers or Mafiosi or both. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm answering my own question. I just stumbled into answer that satisfies me. The bottom line is I was wrong:

Thread Title: "Can a nonlicensee ship a firearm? YES"
This Thread is for infomational purposes. It is not intended to start a debate. If anyone disputes this information, please go to the ATFs website at: www.atf.tres.gov/ At the top of the page hit on Firearms. On the following page at right under Firearms Info hit on FAQs. Then go to Section (B) UNLICENSED PERSONS- Please read under (Mailing firearms through the U.S. Postal Service)(B7) This simply states that a nonlicensee may ship a long gun via the USPS to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A nonlicensee cannot mail a handgun to anyone. *Please read under (B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? "A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A COMMON or CONTRACT CARRIER must be used to ship a handgun".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.