Pistol World Forums banner

Tokarev!

12K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mark F 
#1 ·
So we have our Makarov lovers, but anyone here shoot Tokarevs? Russian, Chicom, Warsaw Pact, Egyptian, 7.62 or 9mm?

I roll with my NORINCO Type 213a in 9x19. Fun little guns.

#2 ·
I had a CZ-52 for a short time but I wasn't impressed enough with it to keep it. I chose the CZ over the Tokerov because of price but if I had the option again I would have spent more money and got the Russian Tokerov instead. The CZ had poor sights and the mag was a pain to remove. I handled a Tokerov and was impressed with the feel of it but the CZ was too big for my hand. Thats odd since they're the same caliber.

#3 ·
Yeah...I have a CZ52 as well, and the grip is long and slim. Adding some Hogue Hand-alls gave it some palm swell and made the grip *much* nicer. The Tokarev I have actually has an insert welded into the back of the magwell where the full-sized 7.62 mag would have gone, but it's still for smaller hands.

The Tok's got style. It actually points pretty well with the standard grips (compared to the CZ, which takes some getting used to). The button magazine release is quite nice compared to the CZ heel release, and the mags seem to drop free consistently. It's a bit finicky on ammo, though...handloading it up a few notches from factory (nothing near maximum, mind you) kicked the slide back hard enough to improve feed reliability...with Remington in particular it could get stuck doublefeeding and stovepiping from time to time, even without a limp wrist.

Frickin' love the CZ52, though. It's a tackdriver if you feed it good ammo, smooth recoil, reliable as hell once you get good magazines...1000+ rounds and not a single failure to feed or eject on mine. And it shoots 9 with a drop-in barrel.

#9 ·
Re: re: Tokarev!

9MAK said:
Nice grips Mark F...
I had a pair of chinese 7.62's and put 1150 rounds through each and never had any issues of any type. Paid $99 each for them, shot them, enjoyed them and sold them..Wish I had them back too.
One thing I really like about my Tokarev 7.62x25 is it is very powerful and ammo is dirt cheap. I just bought 500 rounds for $50.00, thats 10 cents a shot!! I can't re-load that cheap!

#10 ·
DIY grips? Awesome!

+1 on the cheap combloc surplus ammo. Noisy, plentiful, and entirely too much fun. Still working on a can of Romanian myself.

Kinda wish my Tok was in 7.62x25...I'm guessing that the bottleneck contributes to the absurd level of feed dependability.

#11 ·
Re: re: Tokarev!

Bunnyman said:
DIY grips? Awesome!

+1 on the cheap combloc surplus ammo. Noisy, plentiful, and entirely too much fun. Still working on a can of Romanian myself.

Kinda wish my Tok was in 7.62x25...I'm guessing that the bottleneck contributes to the absurd level of feed dependability.
My ammo is Bulgarian, Romanian, and Chinese. It all shoots great! I have never had a Failure To Fire with any of my surplus ammo. The Chinese ammo is sort of ugly with an un-even copper/brown color, it still fires good though. Winchester is making 7.62x25 ammo... but it's WAY too expensive at $19.00 a box! I'll keep buying surplus ammo until its all gone.

My grips are home-made... I made them from Oak slats I bought from Lowe's. I traced the original grip pattern on the wood, cut them out, and started sanding. They are mounted on the pistol using double sided carpet tape. They've been on there for years and never a problem...

The 7.62 has a slightly larger diameter casing, although it's hard to tell in the photo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.