First I'd like to say Hi to all as
I'm new to the sight and also a Newbie to reloading
My Question is which tpe of media should i use in my Tumbler
Corn Cob or Walnut, which one is Dustier Etc

Thank You Kevin

·
Registered
606 Posts
Pretty much a horse race.... the walnut lasts a little longer before it needs to be replaced, but it costs a little more.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Walnut is more for cleaning really dirty, badly tarnished cases. Corn cob gives a higher degree of polish. I don't let my cases get that bad, so I only use corn cob with brass polish. Bill T.

·
Registered
149 Posts
billt said:
Walnut is more for cleaning really dirty, badly tarnished cases. Corn cob gives a higher degree of polish. I don't let my cases get that bad, so I only use corn cob with brass polish. Bill T.
+1

fwiw, i think the corn cob is more dusty. ive read where people will put in a small 1"x1" square of the dryer softeners and it will p/u alot of the dust. havent tried it yet.

btw. you should be doing this outside or somewhere with good ventilation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use both on a regular basis. Lizzard bedding from the pet store, which is walnut, and corncob bedding also from the pet shop. I have put the dryer sheets in there and they do collect a lot of black dust.

I like to do a clean before depriming and a cleaning with walnut after depriming because it gets into the primer pocket.

Works for me and the media is cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a5shooter said:
First I'd like to say Hi to all as
I'm new to the sight and also a Newbie to reloading
My Question is which tpe of media should i use in my Tumbler
Corn Cob or Walnut, which one is Dustier Etc

Thank You Kevin
Just use toilet paper, new toilet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used both over the years...But settled on walnut media for everything.
I can not see getting the brass any brighter than what I am doing...It was a tossup between corn cob and walnut as far as getting them to look bright.
I use a little Nu-Car finish in my media and that makes the brass very bright and clean.
The tumbler has a lot to do with how clean your brass gets and how long it takes. I found a great deal on a used Burr-King 150s tumbler a while back and it does a great job and does not take long. Its a commercial vibrating tumbler. It does a lot better job than the RCBS or Frankford ones I was using. It just costs a lot new...Glad I was able to find one for $100 vs $800 they cost new..!!! I think its a 10 QT bowl and can clean MANY pcs of brass at one time and they all come out clean. Last job I did in it was 2000 45acp brass and there was room for about another 1k brass.

The RCBS and others will work just fine...I just found a good deal :)
I buy the large 50 pound bags of media or the 18lb bag of Frankford media at Midway for about $1 a pound or less in bulk.

Don2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts