Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever consider tumbling shotshell cases before re-loading?
Sounds like it might be useful for the same reasons we do it for brass, particularly if you have a press that sizes the shotshell brass...............dumb question..........am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
606 Posts
The resizer on most shotshell reloaders is a collet-type.... it contracts, squeezes the brass down to size, and opens back up. No sliding, no sticking..... no need for cleaning first.

The single-stage MEC 600 jr uses a swaging die for resizing, but apparently has no problems, otherwise they wouldn't have sold a bazillion of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I clean my shotshells in a Dillon case cleaner (the vibrating bowl thing). I use large corncob media that is sold at pet stores as bedding. I add Dexron (automatic transmission fluid) to the media to aid in cleaning and to eliminate dust. The reason I do the cleaning is that I don't like dirty shells; it has nothing to do with the machines or resizing. Some hulls get particularly nasty. I think Winchester hulls (20 ga especially) are particularly inclined to foul, while some hulls (Fiocchi, for example) don't foul much at all.

FWIW, I also clean all handgun brass with the same media, but switch to fine grind corncob for small necked rifle brass because the large media will stick in the brass.

G

·
Back in the day when you could find quality range pick-up around here, I used to tumble the hulls.

If the hulls were dirty or showed slight oxidation- into the tumbler they went. I've cleaned many this way. Or used to that is......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts