Pistol World Forums banner

Tumbling your brass ????

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  J-Cat 
#1 ·
How many of you tumble your empty brass on a regular basis ??

I have a tumbler but rarely use it. (came with my reloading starter kit 10+ years ago) Just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks

#2 ·
All brass gets cleaned as it is less wearing on the dies. It also makes it easier to find stressed out cases. My revolver loads may not get tumbled every time as the revolvers are pretty trouble free regarding ammo but the autoloader brass definitely get cleaned every time as that reduces feeding problems.

#4 ·
If ya got a tumbler that don't get used,then you've got dies that are either scratched up or so dirty that they need a real good cleaning. My cases get tumbled after each use generally. I've got so many though,that I shoot em and pitch em in the tumbler til I'm down to 100 or so, then they all go round and round for a while.

HWD

#5 ·
Pair o 686's said:
.....(came with my reloading starter kit 10+ years ago)......
I don't mean to sound condescending, but there's a reason that a tumbler was part of the "starter kit" ..... they intended that you should use it.

As stated above, your dies will need to be cleaned (probably replaced if not carbide). I'm surprised you haven't had a stuck case yet.

#6 ·
If you load low volume, wiping the cases with an oily rag will suffice. I don't tumble my rifle brass. I don't size my 357 brass anymore. I just deprime, prime, charge, and seat those HBWC bullets with finger pressure against a flat surface. They don't kick hard enough to back out. Cases eject as usual. Auto-pistol brass gets stolen by brass thieves before I have a chance to pick it up, or the range staff go crazy with the brooms and sweep the floor every 10 seconds. Safety they call it.

Low volume = no tumbler, for me anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.