Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some used old style 45acp rcbs dies.
When I went to use the sizer, it puts deep scratches in the brass.
Luckily I only set up about 10 rounds.
Then when I wen to use the seater, same thing.

Guess getting new dies is the only way to go.

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
MilitiaGuy said:
I picked up some used old style 45acp rcbs dies.
When I went to use the sizer, it puts deep scratches in the brass.
Luckily I only set up about 10 rounds.
Then when I wen to use the seater, same thing.

Guess getting new dies is the only way to go.

Paul
Call or e-mail RCBS, they will tell you how to polish the dies out. OR...Maybe replace them??

Don2

·
Registered
12 Posts
hoashooter said:
The guy probably gives his guns the same "care" :oops: :evil: That's the risk with buying used--Time for a new CARBIDE set :wink:

Thats one reason to clean (tumble) your brass.
Keeps your precious dies in good shape...Not just clean new looking brass..!
Although I like to see how PRETTY :wink: I can make them..!

Should be able to get some steel wool or very fine grit wet/dry sandpaper on a drill and buff them out with some light oil.
I've done that to some I bought used in that condition...Last die I bought from a gun show was very undersized..it was a Lyman 38/357 carbide sizer and Lyman says they only have a year warranty and I must have a reciept..!!
So in a box it goes with the other junk dies.!!!!
It was only $2...Now I know why it was soooooo cheap..!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even came in a nice orange plastic box.

Don2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hoashooter said:
The guy probably gives his guns the same "care" :oops: :evil: That's the risk with buying used--Time for a new CARBIDE set :wink:
Yes, that's what I did. Got the 4 die set, carbide. Love that final (4th die) crimper.

Paul
aka MilitiaGuy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Most likely the dies were used to resize a lot of Nickel plated brass. Nickel plating is very hard and can easily scratch loading dies. I've even seen Nickel plated brass scratch Titanium Nitride coated dies. There really isn't any advantage to Nickel cases which is why I avoid them when scavenging brass for reloading. Bill T.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Scratched dies? Junk them. I think you will find that if you tried to polish them, they would become oversized. You might even run the risk of making unreliable / difficult to chamber ammo. Also, unless you have some good machining equipment, it would be almost impossible to keep them round. You'll be better off with a new set. Spend your precious time making ammo, not tools! :)
I also agree with the comment about cleaning your brass. I tumble all my brass, no matter how fresh they look, before I deprime, to remove dust and grit from the range. If it rained while I was at the range, I wash that brass with warm water and soap to remove sand and dirt (it's very sandy at my range), and dry it all, before I tumble it. I don't like dirt in my dies. Happy loading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts